outback trip


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
February 1st 2006
Published: February 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

spiderspiderspider

The kind of size of spider you'd become used to..
Hello from Darwin!

Had to spend an extra week in Cairns as my bus came just once every 2 weeks so had an extremely boring week. I was pretty disappointed with Cairns actually, there was really very little to do in the City through the day and torrential rain all week didnt help either! I went snorkelling out on the barrier reef though which was really really special, Ive never seen anything like it! I'm going to send some pictures and stuff like my skydive dvd home shortly so if you want to see them, just track down my mum and dad!

So on Saturday I left and spent a night in Hughenden, Mount Isa (the only town of real significance for 700km's in any direction!) and Renner Springs before arriving in Darwin yesterday. The trip was really something special; being in the Outback is like being on Mars. The changing colours and the landscape is amazing.

We visited the town where the song 'Waltzing Matilda' was first performed, so of course its been lodged into my brain for the last 3 days! Also stopped at a couple of pubs on the way where Crocodile Dundee was filmed. I dont know if anybody remembers a Water Buffalo called 'Charlie'in the movie? Well its now dead, and has been stuffed and mounted at a pub we stopped at. Ive got pictures of it, absolutely massive!! Then theres the pub with just about everything in it, bras, knickers, flags, student cards, crazy stuff!

Theres quite a lot of Aborigines here in Darwin. They act all deflated and are really quite intimidating. They tend to just lay about in the streets in groups and drink. Its like they have been pushed away from their original culture and cant fit in with this society so you can understand in some ways but on the other hand they certainly dont seem to make an effort with anything.

Its such an interesting country. You cant compare the east coast to where I am now. Ive travelled 3000km's since Cairns and have come through one state, yet we have a bigger population than them!! Its just got everything. The people here are so laid back and friendly aswell everywhere, its great.

Going camping in Kakadu National Park for 2 days tomorrow, cant wait for that and leave on Sunday where I'll be travelling down towards Alice Springs/Uluru!!

Hope everyones well!!

Richard







Advertisement



7th February 2006

Jealous
My Dad told me that you had an Oz blog so thought I'd better check it out! What can I say? Your trip sounds fantastic - how many photos will you have taken?! How long are you out there for? Are you really going to want to swap sun, sea and tinnies for the wonderful world of OT and the NHS? Enjoy every minute. Helen x
7th February 2006

Jealous
Hello! It's your cousin Helen here. Uncle Allan put me on to your blog - your trip sounds amazing. How long are you out there for? Will you want to come back to Blighty and the wonderful world of OT?! Enjoy every minute. Helen X

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb