Adelaide to Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
May 10th 2007
Published: May 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So i hope u liked the photo's, kinda put up ones of interest for u's all, but i'll see how far i can get on the writing front now with what happened.
Generally in the past 2 weeks have spent lots of time on bus rides, our 1st bus, as this 2 week safari was actually built up of 3 seperate trips, was the most uncomfortable bus i had ever come across, low backed seats and no leg room, so to rest my head I had to rest my butt on the smallest piece of the seat with my legs stretched out down the aisle. Think I managed about 10 minutes of sleep whilst on the bus in the first 6 days. We tried to keep ourselves amused, playing various games and talking, although sat next to sarah for these days, she had a habit of sleeping alot, as soon as the bus moved the head was normally back, but she was great to talk to when she was awake and had a bit of a laugh. Playing bus bingo, does become a bit of a highlight when u've spent 10 hours 2 days running on a bus.
So on the first day leave adelaide, and head to the flinders ranges, and check out some old house ruins where a farm had been set up, but was now derilict as the ground isn't very suitable for growing crops. Then stopped in Quorn for our lunch, the first of many consisting of cold meat and salad sandwiches. In the afternoon we headed to Yourambulla caves to check out some rock art. First night we stayed at the town of Parachilna, don't know what i was expecting, but this place was just a campsite where literally 6 people lived, but they had a pub, so bbq that night and a few beers, got to try kangaroo steak, camel sausages and some emu, all of which were really good and tasty, but this was the start of me and my great bbqing. That night passing through the town would be the longest train in the world almost 3kms long, people were getting quite excited by this, and there are lots of great photo's knocking around of this train passing through.
Next day, up early, another thing we would have to get used to. And back on the bus, now we were heading to Mount Ohlssen-Bagge, for a nice relaxing walk up a mountain, was quite tiring, and weren't sure if were going to be able to go up as it had been raining a little, but it stopped and we started our walk, got about 3/4 of the way up and it starts to rain, and the path we are walking up are actually water ways, made of stone, so make the desicison to turn around and head back down as it was now getting quite slippy and dangerous. Saw some great views from up there, but was a little dissappointed that we weren't able to make it to the top.
Day 3 and we had the long long drive to Coober Pedy, here we stayed in and underground bunkhouse, was pretty funky, having houses and everything built into the ground. But arrived and went on a tour of the opal mine, was quite interesting to start with, but they kept repeating everything that had been shown in a video and then trying to put on the sales speech, but apparently opals are supposed to be bad luck is the rumour, but apparently not according to them, so we should buy some.....
But that night went out for some pizza and to the local bar, also underground. But some funny goings on that night, saw brooke our driver the next morning, and somebody (karin) and walked into his room at about 2/3 in the morning walked out again then gone back with a pot and a pan, story gets a bit murky there as to what happened naxt, but pretty much everybody got woken by the sound of brooke shouting and throwing stuff about, but i managed to sleep through this, and woke to find broken cups and bent forks across the kitchen floor, he wasn't too happy, and we got an interesting speech from him once we were all on the bus, not so good when there is another 10 hours of 23 of u's all in the bus together. But it was all soon forgotten and was luaghed about later.
I'm going to have to leave things there, hopefully will get a chance to update more whilst i'm in bali, as that is where i'm heading in about 5 hours.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb