Day 8 - Katherine to Darwin. / Kakadu Trip


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
July 6th 2018
Published: July 6th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Day 8 - Katherine to Darwin. / Kakadu Trip



Today we move away from our new favourite home in Katherine to travel to the suburbs of Darwin. We only had 295kms to travel so we did not hurry to wake nor to get to our destination. A couple of things to highlight on this supposedly boring drive. In previous posts I have mentioned road kill. Now today we drove through cattle country where there were no fences along the Stuart Highway. This meant that there always is the possibility of cattle crossing the road. You see them occasionally but not very often. We saw a dead cow today on the side of the road which had been recently hit by a car and it had bloated. It is quite an awful sight to see a cow on its back with all four legs reaching for the sky.



We stopped at Pine Creek which is an old historic gold mining town. We viewed the old open cut mine which had been filled with water. The water is 135 metres deep and it took 14 months to fill from Pine creek which had been diverted to the
Pine Creek Open cut gold minePine Creek Open cut gold minePine Creek Open cut gold mine

The old open cut gold mine which has been filled up with water from the local creek
mine. It was a spectacular site.



The next stop was Adelaide River. We tried to find something to eat here but unless you wanted something fried in oil that had not been changed for a long long time then you were out of luck. We left this town without lunch.



We arrived in Darwin just after lunch. The temperature was the same 30degrees as Katherine but the humidity was in the 70% range as opposed to the 40% in Katherine. Certainly a little more uncomfortable than Katherine.



Following our obligatory van set ups we took to the swimming pool without hesitation. The pool had been waiting for us with its warm inviting waters. Following a quick dip we got dressed to head into Darwin city.



We found a carnival atmosphere of food and entertainment in the centre of the city. A quick drive to Mindil beach to watch the sunset and we headed home for a deserved rest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0779s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb