Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin » City of Darwin
August 1st 2006
Published: August 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello!

We flew to Darwin from Sydney last night, after a tour through the Australian War Memorial Museum. I think many of us were not aware that Australia was involved in many wars, and the museum helped give us some history. Some students also were able to speak to some war veterans and watch a wreath laying ceramony at the end of our tour. We were happy to leave the cold weather and fly to Darwin. It was a late night for us as we didn't get in until midnight.

This morning we headed out to the Northern Territory museum where we were able to see many of Australia's wildlife in taxidermy form (much preffered after looking at some of them) and then headed to Crocodylus Park where we were able to hold a baby crocodile (lots of squeals from the girls, and many photos) and look at some other wildlife. Our guide was fantastic and said 'this group is legends'. (Incidentally, we have been receiving a lot of compliments when we go on tours. The students are really getting a lot out of this trip and asking good questions).

We had some free time this afternoon to shop, swim, do laundry, etc... before dinner and will eat at Hogs Breath Cafe tonight. Tomorrow we head to Kakadu National Park for a couple of nights and I probably won't have access to the internet. Rumor has it we will see a lot of animals in the park. Crocs, snakes, birds, kangaroos. Other then seeing a bunch of kangaroos in a field as we drove past, we have yet to get close to them.

Tomorrow morning we will swim in some waterfalls and then do our service project in the afternoon. We have had a lesson today on what to do if we see any freshies (freshwater crocodiles) and have been assured that it is safe to swim in the waterfalls by the national park and even if we do see a freshie, they won't bother us. I am sure that if we do see a freshie when we are swimming, you will all hear about it far sooner then I will be able to write about it!

Cheers!

Advertisement



1st August 2006

Thanks for the updates
I'm Danielle, Matt's mom. I just wanted to thank everyone for the updates. It's great to hear such good news while the kids are gone. Unfortunately boys, or at least mine, get too wrapped up in the experience to call home (as I expected) so it's great to hear from everyone.
1st August 2006

Hi Everyone, I am Nicholas' mom. He has called me twice (2:30, and 4:30am), but I sit right up because I know that it couldn't be anyone but him. I am really enjoying reading the updates of the trip and am really grateful that Nicholas is able to have this experience. I can't wait to hear his version of this experience and to read his journal of events. I am praying for your safety and safe return.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb