Road Trip!


Advertisement
Published: May 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We managed to get a campervan relocation from Cairns to Darwin. We don't have to pay for it cos the company need the van in Darwin. All we had to pay was the petrol and then they also give us $210 petrol money back. 6 days to travel 3000km.

We had to head back down to Townsville cos that is the only route we were allowed to take cos the other roads are too bad. We didn't quite make it down to Townsville the first day cos it got too dark and we're not insured to drive at night, too many roos etc crossing the roads and they can seriously damage the car if you hit them! We stopped off at IGA supermarket to get our usual pasta, next stop the bottle shop for our beer and then found a little campsite for the night. The next day we headed off at 7am. The next five days were pretty much the same, hundreds of miles covered and very long, straight roads. We saw loads of road kill, mainly roos but did see some cattle, a snake and a wild boar. We also saw loads of road trains. Basically massive trucks
banana treesbanana treesbanana trees

on the road down from Cairns
with huge trailers, usually 3 or 4 trailers, approximately 53 metres long. They did not move for anyone so you had to move right over for them to pass.

After Ross had a 10 hour drive every day we would stop off at a campsite and get the beers on the go. Nice cold beer is great after a long day in a hot campervan. No A/C cos that uses up our fuel, so windows down all the way! One morning in the shower i put my hand on the shower head to move it and i felt something wet and soft, i thought it was maybe a piece of soap. I soon discovered i was sharing my morning shower with a frog, i'm not sure it like the heat.

We finally crossed the border from Queensland into the Northern Territory. We had made good time so we stopped off at Kakadu National Park. The main reason for stopping here was to see if we could spot a croc out in the wild and to our amazement we did. We never actually thought we would see one but Ross spotted it as we crossed over one of the rivers. The van was dumped at the side of the road and we all ran back to get a photo. We also stopped off to see some amazing aboriginal rock art that has been there for thousands of years.

We finally made it to Darwin yesterday and have already met up with some of our friends from apple picking. We had a few jugs of beer with them then headed to the beach to watch the sunset and also go to the night market.

It was a fantastic road trip and i'm sure i have more to say but i can never remember things when i come on here.

Darwin is so hot (sorry to rub it in). They don't do seasons like us up here, only wet and dry season and it's the start of their dry season.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Northern TerritoryNorthern Territory
Northern Territory

crossing states
old pub in Daly Watersold pub in Daly Waters
old pub in Daly Waters

barmaid was a girl from apple picking, how random!


29th May 2009

Darwin looks amazing....im very jealous xx

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb