Darwin


Advertisement
Published: July 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Parliament HouseParliament HouseParliament House

Me sitting in the Chief Minister's Chair
Arrived in Darwin, looked around. Went to the Caravan Park and set up. Next day we relaxed at the caravan park, went into the pool. For tea we went to Stokes Wharf for Fish and Chips. Feed the fish that night - they were gigantic fish. Did not know what they were, except well fed fish.

Went with Mum and Dad and looked around the shops for half a day and went to Mindil Beach market that night - and bought a didgeridoo. Relaxed the next day around the pool.

Learnt about Cyclone Tracy at the Darwin Museum. Found out it was horrible to have lived through the experience. After that went to the Casino for lunch. I filled my stomach with yummy food and did not need to have tea that night. Finally go to the Parliament House Tour. It was very tall inside and built to withstand the cyclones. On the tour, I got to sit in the Chief Minister of the State’s seat. Walked around the streets of Darwin. It is not very big.

Next day we went to the Military Museum and East Point Reserve, where they set up the big guns to defend Darwin and Australia from the bombing by the Japanese. Twice as many bombs were dropped on Darwin, as were dropped at Pearl Harbour. They set up a net to protect the harbour from incoming submarines. Darwin was under attack for almost 2 years and weren’t prepared for it. We also went to see the WWII tunnels for oil storage. These were finished until 1945, when the war was over. They were closed down and never used.
Next day went to see the Aircraft Museum - the home of the B52 bomber. Boy, it is big. 52m across the wings and 56m long. They built the hanger especially for the B52. It is full of electronics and radar jamming devices. It could hold 150 bombs at one time. So it could do a lot of damage. It is on permanent loan from the American Air Force.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb