Lorella Springs to King Ash Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Borroloola
June 26th 2016
Published: July 6th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Lorella Springs to King Ash Bay.
Day commenced 0950hrs, odometer 93026kms, temperature 16 degrees celsius.
Nothing remarkable on the 120 kilometres rough, stony corrugated, windy, dippy road to the Cape Crawford Borroloola intersection.
The last 24km of seal into Borroloola like driving on silk compared to the rough gravel road travelled.

On reaching Borroloola at 13.30hrs, we filled up with fuel at 1.47 cents per litre, odometer 93191 and bought some food supplies and a visit to the tourist information.
Borroloola was founded by Ludwig Leichhardt as he crossed the McArthur River. The town is affiliated with the McArthur River Mine, tapping one of the largest zinc bodies in the world. The police station /museum was establish in 1866.

Lunch in the park uncovered a mess of broken food boxes and tomato paste all over the floor because the pantry cupboard did not hold closed on the rough road. Cleaned up..... an hour later we travelled on to King Ash Bay after losing our way in the small aboriginal dominated community.
Borroloola, The name Borroloola belongs to a small lagoon just to the east of the present township. The name originally Borolooloo is associated with the hill kangaroo. The coastal track follows the path of cattle drovers of the late 19th Century as they moved cattle herds from North-west Queensland to the Northern Territory and the Kimberley. We bought supplies at the road house and took a small drive around the town settlement and observed that the community continues to be mostly aboriginal.

After driving both 18km we took the 21km of corrugated gravel road to King Ash Fishing Club. arriving at 1645hrs we discovered the reception closed, however we changed upon a local women on a bicycle that gave us the information we required. Suggesting if we wanted to fish to take the local boat charter company, which Peter booked later in the evening

We found the camp ground and a powered site. Good tiled amenities, hot showers and flushing toilets.
We introduced ourselves to the neighbours and indulged in watching a Vietnamese man (Ale) cut and prepare crabs. He is a chief and professional crabber from Sydney. Giving him a brown onion we enjoyed Vietnamese chilly crab with a couple of beers....delicious.
Meanwhile cooking tuna pasta for the kids. No internet service except at the Groper's Bar.
Rested, showered and bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1131s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb