Uluru and Kings Canyon


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Ayers Rock
August 30th 2011
Published: September 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

The OlgasThe OlgasThe Olgas

The beautiful Olgas
Comment from Georgina.

Hi All, we have got a little behind in the blog and days have been full and then usually we have fallen into bed. At Kings Canyon, we didn't have any reception-it was actually quite nice!

We spent 4 great nights at Uluru. We are starting to see many of the same people on the road. The discussions with people have changed from where are you going to where have you been. We have met families on the road for a year, who are home schooling. They look so relaxed and just go wherever they feel like it and stay as long as they want. We are on a much more tighter schedule! We seemed to be staying in the 'Victoria' strip.

Uluru was magnificent. We did a great walk into the gorge, where we found a little billabong. There was some rock art on the wall and many signs explaining the Aboriginal symbolism of various landforms. It is amazing-from a distance the rock looks quite smooth but up close is very different.

The next day, we went out to the Olgas. Once again another walk and same people to say hello to. There
Will's dot paintingWill's dot paintingWill's dot painting

This is Will's dot painting. Grace did not want her's displayed.
are many more tourists from so many countries around here, in particular, young Germans (we are their number one destination). The Olgas were so pretty. The Aboriginal name means many heads.

Final Day-we did part of the base walk of Uluru. The kids climbed part way up but it is very steep. We saw many people getting stuck. The kids had a great experience in the afternoon. They did a dot painting session with an Aboriginal artist called Sarah. She taught them about the symbols, creating the story and then they both did their own dot painting. A great experience.

We are getting better at putting the van up but only bother with the annexe when we are somewhere for a few nights.

A great experience at Uluru.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The kids with SarahThe kids with Sarah
The kids with Sarah

A great experience for the kids
Mum and Dad on our walkMum and Dad on our walk
Mum and Dad on our walk

Yes, Mum did come on the trip!


1st September 2011

Brilliant
Love your blog. What an amazing time you're all having. Keep enjoying. Take care and safe travels Love fi

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb