Kings Canyon


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Kings Canyon
August 31st 2011
Published: September 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Canyon at SunsetCanyon at SunsetCanyon at Sunset

The view as the sunset was magnificent
From Georgina-kids too busy playing so I thought I better take over for now!

Apart for the ridiculous prices of everything (a can of coke $5 and petrol, $2.10 a litre), we loved KIngs Canyon. The caravan park is quite near the bottom of the Canyon. As this sun sets, the view was magnificent. We settled into a much quieter park. It had a very relaxed atmosphere, set amongst grasslands. We were advised by other travellers to put all the shoes in at night because the dingoes like them-didn't see any but they hang around.

We decided to make (and it definitely was make) the kids do the Kings Canyon rim walk the next morning. It was a 6km, 2-3 hr walk up the side of the Canyon (a very steep start) and then a picturesque walk along the rim, down to an oasis known as the Garden of Eden, more climbs and descents but a beautiful scene and well worth it. I have never seen anything like it-the red rock, sheer cliffs and trees growing out of nowhere. This was one of our favourite spots to date.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Fossilised sea ripples on the canyon floorFossilised sea ripples on the canyon floor
Fossilised sea ripples on the canyon floor

Sorry, the geographer in me had to add this. The old remains of an inland lake or sea.


4th September 2011
Having a rest at the top

Photo at the Top
HI Guys, you all look as if you really enjoyed the walk. It is an amazing place and the views spectacular. Your photo at sunset is beautiful- the color and the serenity of the place has to be experienced. It is good that you have taken you a few days in this area because you need to have time to take it all in. Keep enjoying!
4th September 2011
Having a rest at the top

Your Holiday
Wow Grace that holiday you are on looks amazing. I'm sure you are having the time of your life. I can't wait until you come back to school. Liv.S

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb