Roper Bar to Towns River


Advertisement
Published: July 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Roper Bar to Towns River.

Leaving Camp at 0908hrs, odometer on 92547kms and temperature 25 degrees.
A final drive over the Roper Bar with caravan in tow for photography purposes and then back down the Savannah Way.
A rough drive, large corrugation and rocks on the Nathan River Road along the Roper River.
Our first stop was Munbililla - Tomato Island. A camp ground based on the edge of the Roper River with Boat Ramp access only. We ate morning tea and used the very clean amenities block.
Back on the road travelling through the Limmen National Park. The National Park is located approximately 475kms southeast of Katherine and 182kms north west of Borroloola. There are six main rivers in the park the Limmen Bight, Nathan, Cox, Towns Hogson and Rover Rivers. We travelled over several creek crossings and passed several other camp grounds, Baba Didi, Mountain Creek and St Vidgeon Ruins. s of the outback. St Vidgeon Ruins portrays the hardship of the outback with three buildings built in 1888, the first destroyed by floods, second destroyed by white ants and fire and the third built in 19660 hit by cyclone.

Our final destination for the day was the banks of the Towns River, no town here and too many crocs to swim.
We set up camp, 5 metres from the shore of the Towns River. Thebasic drop toilet block amenities a good 500 metre walk
The Towns River flows in to the Gulf of Carpentaria, on the south east point. In the Limmen Bight. Here we had an open view of the River and were approximately 2 metres from the water. Fish jumping And a couple of 1 to 2 metre crocodiles on a small island in the centre.
Lunch and fishing the agenda for the afternoon, however the heat of the day beating us.
Coffee and biscuits and beers with the new neighbours and more fishing as the sun went down.
We lit a small open fire on the shore and had dinner of curried sausages, vegetables and rice from the dream pot.
We cooked Marshmallows on sticks over the fire for dessert.
As the full moon lit the sky we continued fishing with no luck.
A dingo surveying the camp sites as we went off to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb