Me again


Advertisement
Published: March 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Finally made it to a place where there is connectivity again. So back to my last blog. After our fifth flight from Adelaide to Alice Springs, we hit the hot red center of the country. Alice Springs was settled as a telegraph relay station on the north-south overland route, when the explorers thought they had found a permanent waterhole. Unfortunately they showed up during the only rainy time of the year. They started building in February when the river Todd, named after the explorer, was running from the rains. He named the permanent settlement after his wife, but when she found out about the climate, she never visited. The original station consisted of a telegraph office, blacksmith, paddocks camels and an aboriginal school. All the buildings were made of stone so it was always better to stay indoors. Didn't help that the black flies were rampant. Drank enough water to fill a swimming pool. Visited the Royal Flying Doctors Service which covers the all the rural areas in the entire continent. They have 63 airplanes fitted out to be used as clinics, ambulances and even operatory theaters. They are on 24/7, having doctor, nurse and pilots at the ready to answer questions or go out on calls. Most places they service are so remote they either have grass landing strips or land on roadways. From there we went to ANZAC Hill, a large WWI memorial with a gorgeous view of Alice Springs. Had dinner at Red Ochre Grill (think maybe it was named after the color of the sand around here?). Had a lovely dinner of Barrimundi, a favorite fish around Australia. very tasty! Dessert was a delicate Pavlova with berry compote - a very light, fluffy meringue with cream filling. Off to the Chiffley Resort, more like a hotel than fancy resorts we have. Most of the rooms were on one floor and there was a lovery, cool pool. Place was very spread out with lots of trees to shade and break the heat. Next time I can get Internet will write more. (I am in Sydney, last stop in Australia. One day I will catch all up.)

Advertisement



25th March 2015

Tracks
I read the book "Tracks" by Robyn Davidson. Interesting story of travel across Australia with camels. Alice Springs is one of the towns mentioned and the black flies. Thought you might like to read it.

Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.1334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb