Let the tour begin - Part 2 Darwin to Alice Springs


Advertisement
Published: June 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Apparently this part of the tour is called the boring part, as there is lots of driving to do. This meant that our tour guide was on a mission to make sure we had fun! Mainly through playing very loud music when we were driving, entertaining us and not sticking to anything on the itinerary but showing us better stuff (apparently). The music was a bit annoying, but everyone else seemed to enjoy it. He also played a few Australian songs including G'day G'day and one abourt a home in the country. Check out the hand movements on the video on Facebook!

This was also a 3 day / 2 night tour staying at perm campsites. The first day we went to Eden Falls which is another lovely waterfall where you can swim. We chilled out here for a few hours, enjoying the view. The others all went exploring but I have realised that I can't rock climb at all so I stayed behind! It was still really nice just to relax and enjoy the waterfall.

After this we went to an Aboriginal art place where we got to paint our own artwork. I chose to paint the dot kind of artwork on the hope it would be easier then trying to draw a massive animal (those that know me will understand about my art skills!). I'm not sure now which one is easier though as the dot paintings are so fiddly. I don't have the patience so mine was a bit bare as I couldn't be bohered to do anymore (thats the spirit!). It has made me appreciate Aboriginal artwork so much more now as it really is difficult. We kept our work and also purchased some done by the professionals. When we get home we will see if you can tell the difference!

Day 2 was a lot of driving. I didn't actually realise how much driving we would be doing on this bit. On the way though we made a few stops. Firstly to see Katherine George, which was lovely again! Then we went to see some Barramundi being fed. There were 6 fishes in a lake and they were being fed sardines (not something they normally eat). They were so big - I couldn't believe it!! The guy at one point grabbed it by its mouth and pulled it out so we could see it had such a big mouth.

After the feeding we went to Bitter Springs, which is like hot spring but in a river. It was really nice - lovely and hot! You follow the current down the river, and then get out at a massive ladder and walk back.

Day 3 was again loads of driving to get to Alice Springs. We only really stopped once which was to see the Devils Marble. This was nice. It's bascially just a load of massive rocks. Our tour guide did tell us the reason behind it but I don't think I was listening as I can't remember anything! Ian did a massive through some of the rocks. He really enjoyed it and it consisted of the tour guide picking everyone up while someone else pulled them from the other end! Luckily everyone made it, although one girl ripped her trouser in the middle, another scratched up her arm and Ian did a bit of loving with one of the other guys on the tour! Check out the pictures again.

Then it was massive driving again to get to Alice Springs. This is our second day in Alice as we have 2 free days to enjoy this place. It's a bit of a hole if I'm honest!!! On Friday night we all went out for dinner and then tried to get into the local club but were turned away as they were 'full' (think the bouncer was on a bit of a power trip but it didn't really make sense as we werent that drunk and there looked like there was room in there for us! This was probably a good thing though as I'm not sure about the people in their as there were a lot of hicks! I don't think I've ever seen so many mullets in my life!!), then we tried the casino but our tour leader was too drunk and so we had to leave, then it was back to the club which said no and then back to the hostel as we gave up! We had a lovely taxi driver all night called John who must have been the only maxi-taxi as we just kept getting him!

Tomorrow we leave to do the rest of the tour which includes Uluru and driving down to Adeliade. Again there will be loads of driving, but it's ok as I have my Nintendo to keep me busy.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1020.1kb