Alice Springs


Advertisement
Published: April 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Alice Springs on the 02 April and made our way to a hostel called Annies. The next morning, bright and early, we met our tour guide and travelling companions for our 3 day trip out to Ayers Rock and the surrounding desert region.

The Journey was 500 km but the scenery was fantastic and there were a few pit stops. Our guide was very enthusiastic and bonded the group of 19 very well. That afternoon we took a 3 hour hike up Kings Canyon where there was lots of scenery but even more flies. After the hike we ate dinner and gathered wood for the bush camp.

The first nights camp was a great experience. In the middle of the desert we built a fire and got the swags out for sleeping in. We were at one with nature, the night sky was filled with stars right down to the horizon and I counted 6 shooting stars! By 2am the only sound was the quieting fire and the odd persons snore.

On Friday morning we were up at sunrise and got breakfast and traveled to both Kata-Tjuta (Olgas) and Ayres rock (Uluru). The guide taught us about the Aboriginal significance the rocks had, we also visited the cultural centre and made evening dinner before watching the sunset on Uluru. Then is was back to the bush for some craic and shut-eye.

On Saturday morning we were up at 5am to be back at Ayres rock for sunrise. The rock changed colours, from greys, to browns, reds, oranges, and yellows, and Gemma thought it was romantic! (in fairness, it was worth the early rise). We ate breakfast and then we walked with our group around the base of the rock (9.4 km).

There is an opportunity to climb Uluru but the Aboriginal people ask that you don’t but the Australian Government allows you, so its left up to the individual. On the day we didn’t get the option as the climb was closed due to strong summit winds. (Close to 50 people have died climbing the rock!).

Finally we drove back to Alice Springs and enjoyed getting a shower and the use of a flushing toilet! It was a good trip, well organized, interesting and fun. Our next stop is Cairnes in the East Coast.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



6th April 2008

Looks amazing out there! Nice selection of hats btw...
6th April 2008

dingo got ma baby
hey gems and ivan, i CANNOT wait til youse come home to hear all your travels. Australia looks great. were you not afraid of dingos and all sleeping out overnight? I think I would freak out with all that open space, like the opposite of claustrophobia, whatever that is. And how come yous haven't got any colour yet? You'll need to go on the sunbeds before yis come home. either that or tantastic.....
7th April 2008

to the adventurers
Gemma I see you are wearing the t.shirt, knew you would love it. and I was right no such thing as tents. beautiful sunset - but waiting for the romantic bit by Ivan...you know what. You guys are great, we miss you in melbourne. My birthday was fantastic best yet. 8 dances in all. Abdulla dressed arabic style for the occasion. Wish you had been there. Ayres rock is just amazing. thanks for the exciting update i now want to go there. will call you soon my little wee gorgous flower girl.
7th April 2008

Hey Gemma and Ivan, sorry haven't posted a comment in a while! Catching up now on your travels. Looks great! And you are both seeinga nd doing so much, I am really jealous...Melbourne looked great too, would have loved to see all those kangaroos at the wildlife park! Enjoy Cairns....
9th April 2008

eaten any funnel web spiders ?
well Ivan, I had to ask ! How did you survive the Jackie Smyth experience ? The trip looks better and better. Take care.
12th April 2008

Hello merry travellers! You look like your having so much fun! I never did Ayers rock which I reget but maybe someday! You will have even more fun on the east cost-are you going to whit Sundays and Fraiser island? I loved fraiser! Did you find Koalas smelly? Ruth and I did but they are a bit cute! Chat soon! XX

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb