Three Day Swagging


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Alice Springs
October 10th 2005
Published: October 18th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Sunset UluruSunset UluruSunset Uluru

Enjoying a nice plastic mug of champagne at Uluru.
Amazing trip! I had nowhere to live for a week, so I decided to go to Alice Springs and onwards to the Outbacks to see the famous ROCK. Got so much more! 17 people, three days, hiking the area around Uluru. We walked for about 10 km every day, with spectacular views and sleeping under the clear sky, in swags.
The first day we left Alice Springs early, early in the morning. We stopped for a small camel ride beofre continuing on towards Uluru. Amazing that it is actually a huge boulder, not a mountain! Took us almost two hours to walk around it. Some of the people climbed the Rock, but I chose to walk the base, since it is a holy place for the Aboriginies. At sunset we gathered for a plastic mug of champagne (classy) to watch the Rock go red. Mmmm ... Then on back to camp for barbie and swagging. Didn't sleep much that night, since Dave had the same cartoon snore as Donald Duck!
Day two and the even holier than thou Kata Tjuta. A mountain range in the middle of that flat arid landscape, so holy to the Aboriginies that they close the pathways
Kata TjutaKata TjutaKata Tjuta

Vista spectaculaire!
parts of the year and no one is allowed in. We walked the terrain for over two hours, took my breath away, physically and mentally. We continued to the camp at King's Canyon, which was even better than the one at Uluru. The bus struggled up this tiny, swirving dirt road to get to a small set of tents in the middle of nowhere. It was great! We had yet another barbie, beer and some singing and fire jumping! Excellent!
Day three and the most amazing part of the trip: King's Canyon! Such a variety that one would think we were at ten different places at once! Struggling up Heartattack Hill, through the Lost City, down the Garden of Eden to the highest point of King's Canyon, where we enjoyed the strong winds looking over the edge. Unbelievable. Back to Alice Springs for a wild night at the best pub I've ever been to (Bojangle's!) with 16 new friends from around the world!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

King's CanyonKing's Canyon
King's Canyon

Makes you feel quite small ...


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb