A Town Like Alice


Advertisement
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Boss at the WheelThe Boss at the WheelThe Boss at the Wheel

If you look closely, you can see Amanda sitting with her left leg folded under her bum in the same way she sits at work. Good driving possie.
We have spent quite a few days in Alice Springs, so the place is a worthy next entry into the blog.

Alice is a nice place and is growing on us, although it has an interesting weather pattern, in that the southern end of Alice can get totally soaked, like we did when we first arrived here from Coober Pedy. Yet everywhere past the main roundabout in town saw only minor drizzle. Must be something to do with the large range here that runs through the southern end of Alice.

We learnt a good lesson too; Just after we set up camp it started to rain. We left the kitchen open as we took refuge inside the Kamper. This was a bad mistake. You think because everything is closed that water will not get in. Have not seen so much water inside cupboards before. The rain lasted for about 30 minutes, after that we mopped up the water, and made dinner. We were still mopping up the water 2 days later. Bugger!

After we got back from the West MacDonnell Ranges, we went around to restock food as well as sort out the last of the parts before attempting the tracks. I was really worried that the remote location would apply and the goods would be quiet expensive or unavailable, and some things weren’t. What surprised me is that some companies hide behind the distance and tell you parts aren’t unavailable, where as others have in place systems to get you the bits or pieces in the next day. Qudos to Toyota here. Another thing, Repco sell parts and tools (17mm long socket) individually greatly saving the costs, SuperCheap do not, and they are next door to each other. Something to keep in mind. Qudos also to the Paul and Ashley at Diesel Maintenance for getting us the regulator as well holding the parcel that Tony sent us up from Adelaide (thanks Tubs). They are the local Spitwater reps as well.

Cyro-vac’d meat was readily available at a reasonable price from the butchers within the main shopping centre (near Woolworths). If you are looking for more than 4 things, they do ask you to come back next day, which we did and there were no hiccups so that was good.

Hey, nothing broke today. Fantastic!!! (about flaming time!). After some of the rough travels around the West MacDonnell’s a few things need tightening like the spotlights etc. Keeping on top of this is something we heard again at a 4WD talk last Monday night that the campground puts on. Something else we learnt was about tyre pressures on the outback tracks and roads, specifically locking into a specific tyre pressure means bluckey’s. The trick is to learn at what pressure gives you at best tread contact on the road, not width either but length. Recommended length of contact is at least 200mm, which for us means 20-22psi, something we would never have considered. Until now we have only got as low as 30psi, which is probably why we need to tighten the spotlights.

CHANGE OF ITINERY: Our worst fears realised, the Tanami Road is flooded at the border and unpassable, well at least for those of us who aren’t brave and/or stupid enough to try. Given our run of luck, why bother. Apparently the mine vehicles are still using the road, well those with 13 or less axles that is, so we will give it a miss from this end.

The alternative route will be to continue up towards Darwin and head west at Dunmara, along the Buchanan Highway. It’ll take us a few more days to get there, but we will still get round to the other end to get to the Bungle-Bungles and Wolfe Creek. There is good connectivity along the highway, so keep those comments coming in.

Cheers.


Advertisement



23rd May 2007

Great blog guys
Good to hear you are on your way! May catch you in the Kimberley. We are seriously considering the Gibb River Road but need to check conditions before the end of the month as we are hearing a lot of rain has fallen. We may pass you if you take the main road. Keep in touch and we will try to rendezvous!! Mike and Steph Walters.....also - Crawf, if you read this - our blog is Walters Family at same address- Cheers!
24th May 2007

Hey Amanda and Bruce, keep up the blogging, very interesting reading. Could do with some amusing commentary on any arguments you might be having though - always a memorable part of any road trip ;-)

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb