Wanderland


Advertisement
Published: April 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Alice Springs was the first place I saw predominant Aboriginal population in the streets. I must say it gave me an uneasy feeling. They just look so out of place. Like nothing in town really fits them.
Most of them just aimlessly wander the streets, or sit/lie somewhere in the shade, which would probably seemed reasonable in the desert but not in a city, where people always has a purpose. Some of them live right in the dried up bed of the river Todd that passes through the city. They wear western clothing, as if it was superimposed on them, like in a funny dress-up game, only it's not funny. They even seem a little lifeless, with no smiles, laughs or any other emotions.
On second thought, maybe it's the other way around. Alice has a feeling of Wrong. It shouldn't be there.

Advertisement



30th April 2007

Most of them don't live in Alice
Many of the "purposeless" Aboriginies you have seen there live in the desert, not in Alice. They come to Alice mainly to drink. They are not accepted in the white people hotels and hostels so they sleep in the dry river. They do nothing but drink for a few days and then they go back to their settelements where Alcohol is strictly forbidden (by their own leaders, not by the government). This is one of the known problems of Aboroginies in OZ. (BTW the first time I heard about this and other aboriginies issues and problems was on the Wayward bus trip, seems I had a better guide after all, luckily. He was very knowledgable and cared a lot. Even convinced us not to climb Uluru).

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1016.4kb