Like driving nowhere in particular


Advertisement
Published: January 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Deserted Outback.
Another cattle station.
Big open dirt roads.

05:20 Wake up.
06:00 Set off and on the road of darkness. Geesh! Boulia looks exactly the same as when we arrived in the darkness of night last night.
06:35 Still dark out there.
Just before 7AM Sunrise! It’s simply amazing watching the sky turn partially red and orange.
07:58 We cross the Georgina River on the Donahue Highway. When there's flooding in the area the highway is flooded as well and access to the Donahue Highway is shut off.
08:12 We stopped for "nothing." Again it was amazing to look all around and there was literally nothing to be seen.
09:33/09:03 Crossing over the Queensland/Northern Territory border. The Northern Territory time zone is 30 minutes behind. Time to adjust the old watch. I take the opportunity to put my watch at the correct time. So that means my watch will no longer be 6 to 10 minutes fast. Hopefully I remember that my watch is no longer fast and that I don’t end up being late for things! lol
09:08 Tobermorey Cattle Station pitstop. Apparently those working on the land are busy trying to muster up 12,000 head of cattle. Wow, that's a lot of beef!
09:29 Head to Jervois Station for today’s lunch which is still about three more hours of driving before we get there.
09:35 We pop in the DVD "Runaway Jury" with John Cusak, Dustin Hoffman and I think his name is Gene Hackman. Pretty good movie...helps to pass the time. Based on a John Grisham novel I believe.
11:42 Stop at the Giant 18 foot tall Termite Hill. This turns out to be a great group photo taking opportunity. I can't believe how huge the giant Termite Hill is...now that is a lot of termite pooh!
12:06 On the road again.
12:45 Lunch. Yummy sandwiches again!
13:50 We pop in another DVD. This time "Rabbit Proof Fence" since the Crocodile Hunter DVD is all scratched up.
14:58 Still on the road.
15:51 Off again after having a 30 minute break. Apparently there are only about 50 kilometres of dirt road to go before we get to the last 150 kilometres of tar surfaced roads.
16:02 Brendan talks about camels.
17:39 Wake up from a refreshing cat nap.
18:32 Arrival at the Alice Springs bus depot. Brendan hops off and a new bus driver, Kevin takes us to our hostels.
18:47 Arrival at Melanka's hostel.
19:47 Dinner time. It sure is nice to be all clean again after a quick shower. Mind you the shower didn't seem to be the cleanest in the World!
20:50 Pizza dinner is served. Well more like I picked it up from the bar!
21:32 Bar games and entertainment start up. Poor Jo. She had to kiss our bus driver "passionately" for 30 seconds in front of the whole bar...Betcha she's scarred for life now...
22:22 Let the dancing begin!
00:40 In bed snug as a bug.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb