Topic - A Holiday Adventure on Norfolk Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Norfolk Island
February 17th 2016
Published: February 17th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Located a short plane ride off the coast of Australia’s eastern seaboard, just north of New Zealand, Norfolk island is filled with sandy beaches, jagged cliffs and tall pine trees. Its local community are laid back and live a simple life, void of railways, ports, harbours or busy business centres. They’re so relaxed; they give cows’ right of way on roads! With a harmony between the lush landscape and the British colonial architecture, holidays on Norfolk Island make you feel like you’ve been whisked off to a charming village surrounded by inviting beaches. What more could you possibly want? We want to ensure you get the most out of your time on the island, so here are our favourite spots that we think make up the perfect holiday adventure on our gorgeous island home...

Explore our convict history

Left over from the convict settlements, visitors can spot convict ruins all over the island, but the bulk of them now reside in the Bounty Folk Museum. You can spend hours in here learning about the convicts that lived alongside the Polynesian original land owners before they were shipped off to Tasmania to continue their sentence.

Climb every mountain

There are several
hikes and treks you can make across the island, but our favourite is Mount Pitt. On a clear day, you have a 360 degree view of the island, as well as the gorgeous blue sea that surrounds it. While the first part of the trek is steep (less than twenty minutes), the rest is a moderate hike that most people will enjoy. Pack a picnic and make a day of it.

Take a dip

By far the dreamiest spot on the island to cool off is Emily Bay. Not only is there plenty of room for everyone to stretch out, it’s also a safe space for swimmers who might not usually be comfortable in the ocean. There’s also a reef a little further out where you can go snorkelling. If that’s not for you, why not consider paddle boarding, canoeing or just lazing in the sunshine?

Get involved in a mutiny

Well, not exactly... We don’t encourage crime on the island, but we do encourage you to learn about our criminal history! If you want a slice of island history that goes beyond Bounty Folk, why not visit Fletcher’s Mutiny Cyclorama? While it may sound cheesy,
we’ve never heard a bad review of this place, nor have we ever given one! A quick way to learn about the history of the island through a moving mural in 3D! We think it’s a really exciting way to get children interested in history.

Take a walking tour

Just like other cities with long histories, we have our own historical centre. Kingston Town is filled with British colonial buildings, including a pier, cemetery and gorgeous old homes to explore. Book a walking tour with a guide, who will take you around the area and share stories of what life was like for the three different civilisations who inhabited Norfolk Island and made it what it is today. If you’re from Australia, you might even learn a few things about your history you’ve never heard before!

These five attractions barely brush the surface of what we love about this island, but if you’re considering a trip to visit Aloha Apartments, then these should absolutely be at the top of your list.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.1034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb