Australia # 1


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
May 19th 2006
Published: May 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sydney Opera HouseSydney Opera HouseSydney Opera House

A twilight view of the Opera House (with shadow of the bridge falling across it), taken from a ferry on the way back from Manly
The first phase of our month in Australia was spent in Sydney, and then driving from there into the Blue Mountains (staying in Katoomba) for a few days, and then driving down to visit the (much-forgotten) capital city of Australia, Canberra.

Highlights included:

- making use of 'Campbell Tours' to see some of the cool places & the beaches in the Sydney area, and taking us for Yum Cha (a chinese brunch) in the busiest place in town (about 1,000 people all choosing chinese dishes from waitresses going round with trollies of different dishes) - many thanks, Tim!! .

- doing the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb at twilight, with spectacular views over the city as light was fading (on the climb up) and at night (on the climb down).

- after 2 nights at a cheap pub/hotel in central Sydney (being kept awake by blaring music until 3am from the pub downstairs!), we had our 2 nights staying in the Shangri-La hotel (thanks to the family for that as a late birthday present!) & made
Sydney Harbour BridgeSydney Harbour BridgeSydney Harbour Bridge

A view of the bridge at night
the most of our complimentary upgrade. It was a struggle to get the energy to leave our hotel room, with the fantastic views from it

- two nights staying in the peace & quiet of the Blue Mountains, with views of the famous Three Sister peaks amongst the great scenic views on offer.

- spending an excellent autumnal day exploring Canberra by foot, and enjoying the glorious sunshine that we were lucky enough to encounter. The place is a bit of a ghost city (as fairly empty of people at all times of the day & night), but seems to have a certain charm (in the sunshine at least!)

- going to visit the Australian Institute of Sport (Canberra), and bneing taken on an overview tour of the facilities by two of the elite athletes who train there.

- celebrating our 365-day 'pre-wedding' anniversary (ie: one year left to change our minds!) with a good Thai meal in Canberra on 5 May 2006.

- realising why the preferable option to travel between
Shangri-La hotelShangri-La hotelShangri-La hotel

The 'grand harbour' view from our hotel room - lucky us!!
major cities is flying - there is not much to see from the highway between Syedney and Canberra, or between Canberra & Melbourne!!!

- visiting our first 'drive-through' off-licence in Albury, NSW (our overnight stop in driving from Canberra to Melbourne). Not a bad idea for stocking up on your alcohol!!!

Next phase of Australia will be visiting Melbourne & Great Ocean Road; then we are off to the Red Centre (Ayers Rock, etc.), followed by heading up to Darwin for a camping trip in Kakudu.










Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

A room with a view!!!A room with a view!!!
A room with a view!!!

View from the Shangri-La - bliss!!!
Bondi BeachBondi Beach
Bondi Beach

Tim & Chris on the beach at Bondi
Out in the Blue MountainsOut in the Blue Mountains
Out in the Blue Mountains

A view of the Three Sisters peaks
A sunny Canberra dayA sunny Canberra day
A sunny Canberra day

A view over the lake at Canberra, with the Captain Cook memorial (the sphere) in the foreground.


Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb