Lithgow Zig Zag Railway


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
February 16th 2008
Published: February 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Lithgow Steam TrainLithgow Steam TrainLithgow Steam Train

Coming into the station

24th January 1987



The Zig Zag Railway was built between 1866 and 1869, and acclaimed a major engineering feat of its time. It was constructed to enable produce to be taken to Sydney from the prosperous farming areas beyond the Blue Mountains and to develop the coal and iron ore deposits found in the Lithgow Valley.


The prodigious feat of bringing the railway from the top of the mountains to the valley below was accomplished by John Whitton, Chief Engineer of the NSW Government Railways. At the time The Great Zig Zag was regarded as one of the engineering wonders of the Victorian age.


A by-product of such construction was the development of locomotive boilers which could cope with steep slopes and this led to the construction of mountain railways in other parts of the world, particularly the Americas.


The Zig Zag consists of a series of sloping tracks forming the letter "Z" with reversing stations at Top and Bottom Points. The Top part of the 'Z' is Top Road, the middle part is Middle Road. Bottom Road is now only a short section leading to the Depot; the rest remains part of NSW State Rail network.


The track passes over three magnificent sandstone viaducts, through two tunnels. There are striking views over the surrounding countryside.

History







Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Looking back on ourselvesLooking back on ourselves
Looking back on ourselves

This is one of the coolest pictures. I took this from our carriage in the train, and as far as I remember, I am looking back on our own train. Remembering, of course, it was taken with a film camera, in 1987, and scanned. The camera was probably, at that stage a point and shoot one. Nothing flash.
On the moveOn the move
On the move

Of course, the kids had to check out the windows, cause they OPEN !! And how often are you told nowadays to keep your hands and head inside the train !!
Ready to goReady to go
Ready to go

I guess I better stop taking photos and get on the train before it takes off without me !!


16th February 2008

Great pictures Gezunda, how can you be taking pictures back on yourself?
16th February 2008

Looking Back
That's a fabulous photo titled "looking back on ourselves". A really unique photo.
16th February 2008

I rather liked it myself considering the camera I was using.
16th February 2008

Ken, that was the only way I could describe it. I was closer to the front of the train taking a photo of the back (at least I think that's the direction). If you look closely you can see the engine on the back pushing the train. Kewl hey??

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb