Blue Mountains


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
January 15th 2007
Published: January 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

From Orange I decided to go across the Blue Mountains and to stop at Katoomba, only an hours drive .Found a backpacker place to stay and then went exploring.

The Blue Mountains;why are they called such ?The area is densely populated with eucalyptus trees the oily mist they give off inconjunction with the dust particles in the light create the blue coloured haze .
There is evidence of Aboriginal occupation of the Blue Mountains that dates back 14000 years.Art sites,rock engravings and stone tools thoughout the Mountains;all sites are protected.
The Duruk,Gundungurra and Wiradjun tribes inhabited this region,
The Aboriginal dream-time legend has it that three sisters, 'Meehni', 'Wimlah' and Gunnedoo' lived in the Jamison Valley as members of the Katoomba tribe. These beautiful young ladies had fallen in love with three brothers from the Nepean tribe, yet tribal law forbade them to marry.The brothers were not happy to accept this law and so decided to use force to capture the three sisters causing a major tribal battle.
As the lives of the three sisters were seriously in danger, a witchdoctor from the Katoomba tribe took it upon himself to turn the three sisters into stone to protect them from any harm. While he had intended to reverse the spell when the battle was over, the witchdoctor himself was killed. As only he could reverse the spell to return the ladies to their former beauty, the sisters remain in their magnificent rock formation as a reminder of this battle for generations to come.

From Echo Point Katoomba I made contact with my friends in Sydney


Phileas



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Aboriginal playing Didgeridoo Aboriginal playing Didgeridoo
Aboriginal playing Didgeridoo

This is Echo Point amazing view of the Blue Mountains with Aborginal Busking (Makes very good Money)


Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0181s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb