Dubbo to Orange via Wellington


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
January 11th 2007
Published: January 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dubbo to Orange via Wellington

Left Dubbo and decided to go to Orange,after half an hour reached Wellington.The famous Macquarie River runs through Wellinton and feeds the Lake Burrendong
Wellington is best known for it's Phosphate mine and Caves so decided to visit the mine.
(Phosphate is the droppings of millions of bats that forms a white powder when crushed and is used extensively in farming as a fertiliser these days)
It turns out the phostphate mine has a somewhat infamous history.the mine was originally opened in 1914,phosphates are needed for farming but at the time they were importantly needed for the productionof ordenance for the Great War.Two individuals knew there was phosphate in Wellinton(they were ordance manufacturers in Sydney but were from Wellington)
They decided to open up a mine and that was the beginning of the Scam.
As they opened it up people became interested and wanted to invest monies and they were readily encouraged,and although there was phosphate there it was of very poor quality,within 2 years the mine was virtually exhausted but the investment money still kept coming,so they took it and did a runner with all the money.That wasn't the end of the story more people took over the mine and by showing what was left of the best seams to investors and adding bones and white crystals to increase the yield carried on for another 2 years and then they did "A Runner"
you guessed it with all the money!!

It's the "Showhouse Pitch " the dream in early days.

Moved on to view the Burrendong Lake,but because of the worst drought for 100 years it was nothing like the brochure pictures .As it was now 15-30 pushed onto Orange.

Phileas


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb