Cobar


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
June 17th 2021
Published: June 19th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Thursday, 17th June



After arriving in Cobar we refilled water tanks and emptied at the dump point before heading out to “Meralda Station” on the outskirts of the town and where we will be free camping for 2 nights. The Station is small by comparison to some covering only 400 acres. It carries a few sheep but from what we could see the land is fairly poor quality and unfortunately, following the recent lengthy droughts, has been taken over by a lot of weed – more weed than grass. The owners are doing their best to bulldoze great swathes of land and burning off the rubbish vegetation in the hope of allowing native grasses to regrow; they certainly have a mammoth task ahead of them.



The camp area is set behind one of the dams on the property; it is fairly open but we have been able to nestle next to some trees and therefore have protection from the winds. Currently there is just one other van in, but we are told another 4 are due in later this afternoon.



Friday, 18th June 2021



Cobar itself is not a “destination” town but it will be a comfortable stop along our journey. It is known as the “Copper City” and is located on the crossroads of the Kidman Way and Barrier Highway in north central New South Wales. Two schools of though debate whether the name Cobar is a corruption of the word copper or possibly derived from an aboriginal word meaning “red earth” – certainly there is a lot of the latter.





The weather today is a bit ordinary to say the least. We took a quick drive through the town this morning, taking the opportunity to refuel for tomorrow’s journey further north. Last night we enjoyed a lovely few hours by the campfire with our new neighbours but a day in the caravan today is the only way to stay out of the bitterly cold wind. With puzzles, iPads and iPod we have plenty to keep us entertained.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb