The Goldy


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Tweed Heads
March 21st 2009
Published: March 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Where we are right now


We made the aprox 900km drive up from Wollongong to Tweed Heads, our home for the next while as Brett builds a skatepark up this way, over 2 days. We stopped about 2/3 of the way up just past Coffs Harbour at Corindi Beach. And for a change, it was sunny and warm in this area! Not sure why but we always seem to hit this area when it seems to be flooding and pouring rain. We had missed the floods and rains this time by a few weeks thankfully.

Our spot in Tweed Heads is in a nice little caravan park with a pool and we are right in front of a billabong (a.k.a. pond) where there are ducks and fish jumping. The water is quite brown at the moment in the tidal pond, because they haven't had a lot of rain lately. Along with that wildlife, there are some of the biggest bats here I have seen since we have been here in Oz. And for those of you that know me, you would know how creatures like that and I are... so you can imagine my screams when I am outside at night and walk by the palm tree on our site and hear these huge wings and swooping noises, I swear he is as big as an eagle! Maybe not quite, but a very large seagull anyway.

Brett has been working hard on the skatepark, and adjusting to being back at work after a couple months off. The temperatures have been around 28-32 degrees in the day and are now getting around to about 18 at night, so a bit cooler. (Sorry to everyone in Vancouver, but it does feel a bit cool now to us! Guess it is Autumn now here...) I have been doing some freelance design work and checking things out. There is a lot to do around here so it's been good. We are in Tweed Heads which is right at the Northern Top of New South Wales, at the start of the Gold Coast, and you cross over into the state of Queensland at Coolangatta, about a 5 minute drive from where we are, and an hour time difference. It is a pretty busy area with tourists, surfers and oldies because of the good weather, beautiful beaches, shopping and restaurants, and some of the most famous surf breaks in Australia are right here. And are unbelievably busy. One day there had to be easy 300 people out at Snapper Rocks. The WCT surf contest was in it's final days when we arrived, with all the big name pros up here, and was won by one of the locals, Joel Parkinson, so was cool to watch that. They were loving the big swell that was being caused by a cyclone further up north from here. The beaches were closed for a few days because of waves being to big, although they still ran the contest, with jet skis helping the surfers get out back.

We will probably be here another few weeks, and then... see where that open road takes us...


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

My bbq'd cabbage rolls.My bbq'd cabbage rolls.
My bbq'd cabbage rolls.

Was dying for some since missing them from our traditional Ukrainian Christmas Eve dinner with my cousins back in Canada, and was my first attempt making them on my own. (With some email and Skype instructions from my Mom) Mmmm. Next one is perogies. And don't mind the white patches on my neck, they were from a chinese doctor I went and saw. Seemed to help my neck... a bit).


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0724s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb