Down Under


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
April 12th 2011
Published: July 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -33.8671, 151.207

After what felt like months spent on an aeroplane/airport, I was able to catch my first glimpse of Sydney Opera House, shining in the bright Sydney sunshine - WOW! After battling with money and time greedy lockers at the YHA, I met Lanny, a great Indonesian friend from the Tianjin days after 9 years! Was wonderful to catch up and get shown around the sights a la Lanny! On closer examination we concurred that the opera house close up was very reminiscent of bathroom and toilet tiling. Best to keep it at a distance - from which it is truly spectacular, like a serene mixture of a shell/lotus/scallop bug. The overall effect is quite awe inspiring especially when viewed against a bright blue sea and sky. We trekked along George Street until we reached a delighful and deservingly very popular Thai restaurant - Home. The food was divine. The huge number of Chinese and Asian people around Sydney is quite mind boggeling. Sometimes I wqould feel that I was in an Asian country. Luckily, Aboriginee dijeridoo playing street performers returned me back to the right continent! We visited Darling Harbour and had a blissful hot chocolate experience at Lindt. One of the best things about consuming chocolate alongside tiny Asian people is that they don't finish their helpings! - all the more for me!! After a first day well spent and managing to live out the time difference, I was well ready for a sleep and was pleased to find pleasant, friendly girls sharing the dorm with me.


Additional photos below
Photos: 103, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb