The Last Leg


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
February 18th 2017
Published: February 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Well - The route to Sydney and the conclusion of this adventure. From Alice Springs we head south and overnight in Coober Pedy. This is the centre of Opal Mining and all around is evidence of where prospectors have searched for the opals. There are still active mines there, and the town has a number of opal shops. The temperature is around 39 deg but we stayed at an Underground Motel, sleeping in caves - what a surreal experience. We also visited a kangaroo sanctuary and saw some joeys being bottle fed and had chance to feed some of the older females that were being cared for.

The roads are long and straight and at this part of the trip we are lucky if we seem more than a handful of vehicles throughout the day. There are Land Trains, articulated lorries with up to 3 trailers, and a length of just over 50 metres. And of course wildlife - emus and kangaroos - dead and alive!

The Australians realise the dangers of these monotonous roads and their signs reflect this:

Drowsy Drivers Die

Fatigue is Fatal

Brief and to the point eh?

Next we hit Port Augusta, the most southernmost point of this journey and then inland again to Peterborough for breakfast the next day and then to Broken Hill for lunch - yes there really is a place called Broken Hill. The towns here look a bit like film sets - large square buildings set back along a wide street, and few people around.

Another bush camp and then we stopped for breakfast at Cobar - another Mining town, but this time for copper. We didn't have much time here so don't know how much copper mining is still done now, but not much I suspect.

Finally a visit to a Vineyard for some wine tasting - Highland Heritage - $5 well spent! And a souvenir bottle of Sauvignon Blanc - well I had to didn't I? One more bush camp, a coffee stop at Katoomba in the Blue Mountians for a drink with a view, and then ......

Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. Yay! We made it! Through all the trials and tribulations, excitement and disappointments, amazing people and sights that will stay in my memory for ever.

Thank you all for the privilege of being able to share this adventure with you.

Enjoy your lives, and follow your dreams.

Fliss xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



19th February 2017

Glad you made it to Oz...
...just in time for the bad weather! Sorry I haven't posted for a while but Sylvia and I have been a bit busy since we got back from our 8 month trip to the UK. How long are you in Sydney for? We live near Newcastle about 2 hours North.
26th February 2017

Yep. We made it.
Glad you enjoyed my ramblings. I'm in Sydney until Saturday, then in Melbourne for a week and fly to NZ on 14th. Been busy seeing the sights since i arrived but it has been nice to have the opportunity to unpack! Waiting to hear from some friends about visiting them between return from Melbourne and flight to NZ but will be in touch if I can make it to Newcastle.
28th February 2017

Running out of time
Hi Both. Not sure if I am going to be able to make it to Newcastle. Off to friends for a couple of days, and then to Melbourne on Saturday for a week. then I only have a couple of days before I go to New Zealand. Will see how it goes but it would be lovely to catch up. Fx
22nd February 2017
P1050027

Yay - congratulations
Hi Felicity, really pleased to see you finally made it to Oz! I've been following your travels with much interest. Bet you are looking forward to some luxury and seeing some familiar faces again. Well done you, what an inspiring journey you've been on. All the planning and excitement I almost can't believe it's finished. Get in touch when you're back in the UK, would love to catch up and hear more. XXX
26th February 2017
P1050027

Enjoying the Australian 'Autumn'
Hi Nicola. Glad you enjoyed my ramblings. I'm in Sydney until Saturday, then in Melbourne for a week and fly to NZ on 14th. It has been lovely to unpack, and stay somewhere more than 2 nights! Back at Easter so will be in touch when a I get back. X

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0842s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb