Sydney bright lights and grunge


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
November 29th 2015
Published: December 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Our last day in Australia was quite a whirlwind. Along with attempts to find things on our ever expanding list of necessary ítems Tommy also decided that we should make the most of our time in Sydney by showing me all the attractions on offer. After all she said “Sydney is the tourist capital of Australia.” So tourist I became. For me the Opera House and harbour bridge had always seemed somewhat over rated, over marketed tourist traps unworthy of the attention they were given. How wrong I was. I was spellbound as we rode the ferry (the Alexander) from circular quay through Darling Harbour. (We had been there the previous night on foot, the whole place lit up like the many christmas trees scattered throughout the city. Two words: pure magic) I have to say that the Docklands in Melbourne have got nothing on Circular Quay or Darling Harbour regardless of time.

After our ferry ride we walked past the Powerhouse Museum, apparently there are steam trains inside. Note to self, return to visit here when it becomes possible. We continued on to Paddys Market where we hoped to tick off many of the ítems on the shopping list however much to Tommys disappointment it was closed and we were forced to wander elsewhere. Yet another chance to explore the city! We found some ítems and enjoyed lunch at Dixons House food court. I kid you not this place serves incredible food. The bento box and fresh sugar cane juice were delicious. After this brief delicious rest we continued wandering throughout Sydney which Tommy describes as “Booming” and I was beginning to see as hectic at best. I felt a mixture of excitement at the pace and sadness at the poverty. There seemed to be a homeless person on every Street corner and the overall cleanliness of Sydneys streets leaves a lot to be desired. I caught myself wondering how this could be the tourist capital of Australia when we keep it like this?

I became increasingly grateful to live in Victoria and when the time came to get on the train to the airport i was happy to go. Sydney I decided, whilst eating fruit mince pies on the train platform, is a wonderful place to visit as a tourist however it is not a place where i could live happily. The train arrived shortly after we gave the remaining 8 fruit mince pies to a Little girl accompanied by her mum and brother and we were off on our way. Time which up until now had been travelling at snails pace suddenly went into overdrive and within what felt like moments we were on the first of our three flights.



(more to be published when we next have access to technology!)

Love Tommy and Tuppence


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

maritime museummaritime museum
maritime museum

i will visit here next time


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb