Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
March 9th 2012
Published: March 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I'm not sure if the news in the U.S. is reporting on the flooding in Australia, but there has been a lot of rain here, and some areas are having serious flooding. The damn near Sydney is at capacity and the first day we were here they had a record amount of rainfall. Luckily we haven't been affected by any of the flooding and the city of Sydney has been fine. Someone told us that in the last decade they were actually in a period of drought and their water reserve was below 30%, so now they're experiencing the exact opposite. Rather than spend the day wandering around Sydney in the rain we decided to try our luck and head inland to the Blue Mountains.



We went with an organized tour, which was something we wanted to avoid, but also didn't feel like dealing with Sydney traffic (there are more cars than people here!). Our first stop was at a wildlife preserve, so Briana got her koala and kangaroo fix in. We even got to pet a koala- holding them stresses them out too much and they can actually bite and scratch. We then headed to the Blue Mountains for some scenic views. Luckily for us the rain had stopped, so we were actually able to enjoy the views. They're called the Blue Mountains because of the optical illusion of a blue haze over the trees due to oil from the eucalyptus trees seeping out in the heat and reflecing blue light waves. Our tour ended with a river boat cruise back to Sydney. By this time the sun was out and the sky was blue, so we got a great view of the bridge and the opera house. Our time in Sydney was just spent walking around, enjoying the sights and the shopping. We spent our last afternoon hanging out on Bondi Beach, and it actually wasn't too crowded.



Yes, our last day. That means our flight back home leaves tomorrow afternoon. It's bittersweet. On one hand we would love to just keep traveling- seeing new things, going on adventures, eating great food, etc. It has been an amazing 5 weeks. On the other hand, 5 weeks is a long time. We are starting to miss some of the comforts of home- including our family, friends, and Kimble of course😊 We're not quite ready to go back to the reality of working, but it's inevitable. We'll get back late Saturday night Wisconsin time, and be catching up on Sunday. Briana will add photos to a different site (as well as Facebook) once we're home and let you know what the site address is. Thanks for reading along with our journey and we will be seeing you soon!



Love,

Briana and Brian

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb