Day 15 - Arrival in Sydney - It sucks


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
July 21st 2011
Published: July 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

So we had an early start this morning in Melbourne to catch our flight to Sydney. It was cold as usual. The shuttle was late and took forever to get everyone and make it to the airport. For once Jetstar was efficient and had people working and since we were late we got to jump the line. The flight left on time but was packed.

We arrived Sydney to pouring cold rain. For the record, it has rained/snowed EVERY day of our trip with on exception, the day we were stranded in the Auckland airport. We fought our way onto a shuttle and 90 min later we arrived at our hotel. It is a 13KM drive. Apparently people in Sydney can't drive in the rain and it was a parking lot. We found out it has been pouring rain for 2 days and will be for 3 more days. We are in Sydney for 3 days.

We checked into the hotel in the Rocks area. Nice area, overlooking the harbor and the bridge, if it were not cloudy. We sucked it up and walked around bit after buying an umbrella. We went to a recommended restaurant for lunch and $130 later we were done. And that did not include dessert. And it was nothing to brag about. We walked around a bit more to find a place for Kirsten to get a haircut but no luck. We did a bit of souvenir shopping and realized it might be better to do this in the US, when a pair of UGGS is $300+ BECAUSE they are made in China. These are the same ones you get in US for $100, and are not made in China. We have not figured out that logic. So no Uggs or any other Australian souvenirs for that matter. Better luck in Fiji.

When the rain and wind picked up even more we headed back to the hotel, where Kirsten’s cold is coming back. Good news, hotel does have a coin washer and dryer so we don't have to pay $20 a load outside the hotel.

So as you can see we are a bit bitter at this point in our vacation. We are so ready for anything but rain. Tomorrow we are supposed to climb the Harbor Bridge. They claim they only cancel in gale forces winds and electrical storm. So guess what will probably happen tomorrow. After that we plan on an afternoon at the pub, since all the cools stuff involves being outside. They alcohol test you before the climb so can't do it tonight.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.288s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.2381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb