DownUnderAgain


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
June 5th 2011
Published: June 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Here we are … Sydney gave us a cold and wet reception last night. Was it only last night? What with running Comrades last week and today's Jetlag, we have lived a 100 years in the last 96 hours. Welcoming smiles and hugs from Lourens soon made us realise we were back at our home from home.

We left Fusion in the driver seat (see pic) at home. While we are away she gets to realise her life's dream… actually sleeping in her human's bedroom. It makes it so much easier to leave home knowing she is in good hands. Thanks so much Colleen,

We were off to a slow start on the first leg of our journey on Wednesday with a five hour delay at George Airport. A bird flew into and damaged the engine casing before it left OR Tambo Airport. Technicians would not allow it to return and we had to wait for a new plane to be sent on from Johannesburg . I had such fun playing the waiting game. I made at least two converts to the world of running; gained a new Facebook friend; wrote a letter to the editor of Woman and Home and compiled a short story based on the groups of waiting folks. Life's too short to waste.

We got to bed at 00h45 and slept in, if you can call it that with knee-hi's bouncing on your bed before they went off to school. Pretoria was freezing cold at 0 degrees. We have become spoilt and used to Witsand winter temperatures.
The rest of Thursday saw us in a last minute shopping frenzy at Menlyn Shopping centre.

We arrived back at OR Tambo way too early for check-in and stopped off at Cappellos for coffee and last minute phone calls to friends and family. Gabriel was our waitron. Is that an angelic omen for our trip?

Flying Air Singapore is a more pleasant experience than SAA. For the first time in years I did not have to take anything for nausea. We were entranced by Changi Airport and spent a pleasant 2 hours shopping, noting the baby stroller-cum-luggage trolleys; plants and flowers everywhere; the emphasis on re-cycling for all the disposal bins everywhere and the differently shaped drinking fountains. A new experience for me was the games consoles at various gates. Not your usual computer games, but chess, dominoes, draughts etc.

Today is Lourens' birthday. We had a celebratory lunch with sparkling wine at Cerviche with a view of the sea at Coogee Beach in Carr street. Late afternoon we did some shopping at Randwick Centre. Again I was struck by the quality and array of fresh fruits and veggies. One thing I found striking was this notice to shoppers: ''FRESH MARKET UPDATE: Icy cold weather in Victoria and Queensland over the past week has significantly impacted growing conditions. The main crops affected are broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers and may impact supply and quality. Thank you for your understanding.'' Howzat for communication and subtle sales techniques?



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Recyling consciousRecyling conscious
Recyling conscious

... and a drinking fountain that actually works and does not give you the heebie-jeebies
Birthday boyBirthday boy
Birthday boy

... living in the moment. Coogee Beach in the background
Uwi's helperUwi's helper
Uwi's helper

... that's what knee-hi's do
Gogo's helperGogo's helper
Gogo's helper

Someone's got to control this blogging business


5th June 2011

RE: DownUnderAgain
What a long journey, especially coming so soon after your Comrades triumph! Hope you recover from the jet-lag quickly and start some serious relaxing. Well done on doing the blog. We should do something similar, because we too end up with hundreds of photos at the end of our holidays and we can't remember where they were taken!
5th June 2011

DownUnder Again
Jip! I agree. This is a marvellous way to preserve memories. I kept detailed notes in my diary last year about our New Zealand trip so the detail is not lost but so unappetising. Check out the Blog To Book function in Travelblog. I wish I had captured my NZ trip in blog formatt so that I can 'Book' it.
12th June 2011

KEEPING US INFORMED - MUCH APPRECIATED!
THANKS FOR YOUR INFORMATIVE BLOG VERY SPECIAL - ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF THE TRIP - WE WISH YOU WELL. HAVING A LOVELY DAY OF SUNSHINE IN THE CAPE - ALL GREEN AND LUSH

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb