Day 2, well rested


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
May 22nd 2006
Published: May 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

After sleeping a good 10 hours, I think jet lag has been successfully conquered.

So far the weather has been great here. So in order to take advantage of it right away, Ronit and I decided to do the Bridge Climb on the Harbor Bridge today. We really lucked out...getting up and down the bridge before it became too overcast and rained. The climb itself was great...we managed to get in the lead of the group. There was plenty of time at the top to take in the amazing views. The whole thing lasted a good 3.5 hours...with lots of step climbing in between. We were able to squeeze some good advice out of our tour guide and some other Australians on the tour with us on where to go and what to see in Sydney.

Afterwards, we just meandered a bit around the Circular Quay, some and around the opera house. We missed the tours of the opera house, but plan on going back another day for a tour and then again for a show on Thursday night....Tibeten monks chanting with a symphony orchestra and didgeridoo for back ups. Should be interesting.

After some souvenir shopping, we decided to head for a recommended spot called Australian Square, which happens to be a circle (go figure). I wasn't quite sure what it was, but new that there was a rotating restaurant/bar at the top, with great views. So we searched the skyline for a circular building and headed for it. Luckily there was only one such building and we were able to get there with 2 minutes to spare before Happy Hour ended and were fortuitous enough to get a table right by the window. We stayed for about one full rotation (about an hour) before deciding to call it an early night again.

Tomorrow takes us to the Blue Mountains for some hiking...if we can manage to find a good trail.

Some general observations about Sydney and other things that I didn't want to turn into paragraphs...
- Sadly, there aren't as many Aussie accents around....it's so international here that most people are speaking other languages or have foreign accents. I'm guessing this will change once we're out of the city.
- Our hostel is great...very clean. But the guidebooks were right...only Germans seem to stay here!
- THere's probably more, but the line for the internet has formed again, so it's time to wrap it up.

Sorry no pictures....there's nowhere to upload them here. Maybe I'll find a place in Cairns....

TTFN

Advertisement



23rd May 2006

Softball skillz
Laura - we've been preparing for our next game by taking ground balls on the mall over lunch. Also, we've been spending our happy hours at the batting cage. No one was injured except Brendan was hit in the head - we didn't notice much difference though. All of your hiking sounds cool. How are the shoes working out?
24th May 2006

I don't want a title thanks
I'm sorry, but you have to tell me if the toilet flushes the other in Australia...

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb