Oh I do like to be a Sydneysider


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
June 17th 2010
Published: August 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

On the plane from Christchurch we sighted land, Australia! Were we really going to be in Sydney, home of the Opera House, Harbour Bridge, and more importantly tv's 'Bondi Surf Rescue'? All of a sudden it all seemed absurdly fantastic. How on earth did we manage to get here? And would I be able to get that song by the Manic Street Preachers out of my head?

We chose to stay in Glebe liking the sound of it's boho style. This allowed us to get to know another area of Sydney but still be close enough to walk to Sydney Harbour to see the Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge. Arriving late in Glebe we had time for a quick bite to eat, a beer and then an early night in anticipation of the day ahead of us.

The walk was just far enough to build the excitement. We meandered along the harbour paths passing dog walkers and morning strollers and then headed to the Fish Market. Was 10.30am too early for fish n chips? Don't think so! Onto Darling Harbour, busy, bustling, modern, a monorail sliding quietly above, lycra clad jogging Sydneysiders weaving in and out of the tourists (or just showing off) and a massive screen floating in the harbour screening the world cup. Very futuristic.

Around the aquarium towards Millers Point and a long open walk along the dockside later the tops of the Harbour Bridge began to reveal themselves above the rooftops. Sufficiently around the corner there it stood infront of us, a massive bulk of metal, looking almost too strong to just carry traffic, standing resplendent across a picturesque expanse of water. Photo time.

The moment sufficiently documented we continued towards it pausing frequently to take more photos as the bridge began to fill our camera view finder. At Dawes point with the bridge looming large above us the Opera House appeared, delicate in contrast to the might of the Harbour Bridge, glistening in the sunlight. More photos. Further on we stopped in The Rocks area which affords a view of both and sat to take it all in. Quite marvellously a trio of Opera singers entertaining at a restaurant, but easily audible from where we sat, provided a fitting soundtrack.

We loved Sydney. Like London it has an energy on the streets that's intoxicating. We had drinks at the Opera House bar, visited the Botanic Gardens, marvelled at the wildlife that the local Sydneysiders take for granted like cockatoos, parrots and flying foxes. We took the coastal path from Coogee beach to Bondi, visited an art installation on Cockatoo island, bought new 'sunnies', had 'brekkie', and walked all over the place. When we finally decided to leave we had second thoughts, but then we'd already decided we'd be back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Bridge The Opera House The WifeThe Bridge The Opera House The Wife
The Bridge The Opera House The Wife

Just where else would you rather be?
You're in Sydney, it's warm and sunnyYou're in Sydney, it's warm and sunny
You're in Sydney, it's warm and sunny

you've had some champagne!
Opera House happyOpera House happy
Opera House happy

and 3 scooners of VB
Circular Quay night shotCircular Quay night shot
Circular Quay night shot

After a fish n chips across the bridge we took the walk back after sun down
Coogee BeachCoogee Beach
Coogee Beach

heading out to the beach suburbs


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb