The Bridge Climb and the Bondi Beach!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
March 14th 2006
Published: March 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone again i am now writing to you from Melbourne a day before the commenwealth games starts i will explain as i go on.

Anyway the last week we have all been very busy!!!

Last Saturday the one before the one just gone it was time for our second cricket match. Me and Harry got picked up outside our hostel at about 9 o'clock to set off to the ground. We arrived there very shortly and to our dissapointment the ground was a bit of a hole!!! The outfield well i have not seen anything like it before it was like a football pitch only longer and as for the strip that looked a complete mess like they had not spent any time preparing it. Anyway we won the toss and batted first we got off to an ok start in first few overs then lost our operner in 4th over where Harry came in number 3 and started ok. The conditions were certainly not easy the pitch was seaming a bit two paced and giving uneaven bounce so a bit of a batsmans nightmare really!!! Anyway he batted on looking good until he got a bit of a wonder ball from there best bowler he was bowling quite sharp at the time and he went to cover drive it before it hit the pitch cut in a foot and hit his middle stump!!! There was nothing he could do bout it so a bit unlucky really!! After that our team well capitulated with the bowler that got harry out taking 2 wickets in the same over harry got out producing a triple wicket maiden!!! I went in at number 9 with 3 wickets left at the non strikers end and watched 3 batsman all throw there wicket away infront of me after telling them what to do but they obviously didnt listen!!! I ended up on a fine 0 Not Out without facing a ball!! The team scored 66 very embarressing!!! Anyway it was ok as i got to bowl next on quite a gd pitch!! I opened up from one end and started off ok but i just could not pitch the ball up and place it where i wanted to!! I was getting very frustrated!!! In about the 7th over i missed the off stump by about a 1mm two balls running then dragged one short and nearly got hit for a six luckily next ball i finally hit the spot and uprooted his middle stump and sent him packing!! After that i picked up another wicket LBW but we never really had a chance and ended up taking 3 of the wickets with me finishing with figures of 2/21 which was ok!!


After the early finish we lurked around a bit until it came nearer to Mardi Gras the biggest gay and lesbian festival, the second biggest festival of any kind in the world which is also held in New Orleans and Rio at the same time. We headed down to the parade at about 6.30pm to see what was happening and there were thousands and thousands of people lining the streets. The parade didnt end up starting till 7.30 which was annoying as we had to wait for ages!! Then it started and to be honest it was all a bit full on for all of us and we had enough after about an hour and headed back to the party in Sidebar. It started off quiet in there for once and got busier as the night went on!! We persuaded Giles to drink with us which made it a bit more interesting. He became a lot more lively than i have ever seen him on a night out before and was actually the one draggin us to the dance floor. Seeing him Drunk was definatly one of my highlights of the trip that i will not forget.


Sunday we just spent some time wandering around the city before we headed down to Sidebar to chill as they had free pool all afternoon so we had a bit of an epic session before we got some tea and then watched the live band which were gd.


Monday we decided we wanted to go swimming again so we headed off to the aquatic centre for a few hours. We just swam and lazed around before an epic session in the Jaquzzi before heading back. Before that though i checked my emails in the morning and had received one from Helen saying we were more then welcome to stay with them while the Commenwealth Games were on so we could go and watch them which was great news for all us so we started looking into to booking some flights for the following monday morning!!!


Tuesday it was i day i had been looking forward to since we booked it. It was the day of The Harbour Bridge Climb. Before that we went to the cinema because it was Half Price tuesday which was gd and then we got ready at the hostel and headed off to the Bridge. We arrived there at about 6.15pm just in time for our climb experience. First of all we had to take a breathaliser test to check if any of us were drunk. Then we signed a few forms before we got to step into our super sexy costumes which were like boiler suits. Unfortunatly i have not got any pictures as they are the only ones that are allowed to take photos and the ones we bought of the experience have been sent home so we dont lose them or ruin them. Anyway once we in our boiler suits we went to the training section where we learnt to walk properly up the bridges with our harnesses on. Then we went on the practice ladder which was an exact simulation of the ones we were about to use. Then we got kitted up with fleeces attatched to us and headlamps seeing it was a night climb and we got radios as well so we could hear the climb leader. Then we were off on our epic climb first we walked just under the bridge 50m above see level before we got to the arch. Then we had to climb up the ladders through the middle of the traffic on the bridge which was a totally sureal experience. Its the busiest bridge in the world apparently. Then we started the step climbing over the actual arch which was amazing!!! We had a clear 360 degree view of the whole city. We had a perfect view of the city as it was lit up spectacurly!! We tour leader was really friendly, helpful and informative and managed to answer all of our questions!! When we finally reached to top it was and amazing experience the whole city lit up for all to see!! We all felt a sense of achievment and felt it was a great accomplishment. Then we spent the epic climb back down the bridge before we headed inside to look at our brilliant photos. The Bridgeclimb is a magnificant experience and i would say anyone that visits sydney must go and do it as they will not regret it. I think i can speak for all three of us and say it was our highlight of Sydney.


Wednesday we decided it was about time we took a visit to the famous Bondi Beach one of the most famous beaches in the world. We went with Lisa someone that we have grown friendly form in our room. As soon as we got there it was just an amazing view of the pure white sand and clear waters. As we got closer to the water the waves seemed to be getting bigger and bigger they were huge!!! We had a quick sunbathe before heading in to the water after just hearing the announcement there was a massive rip tide in water again and to be extra careful. We spent quite a time in the water mucking around and trying to surf the waves which was virtually impossible with the waves being so big. I tried to jump into one wave and it like closelined me extremely hard before draggig me under the water for about 5 seconds it was not very pleasent at all!!!

Anyway recently on channel ten the equivalent to ITV or BBC back home they have brought out a programme called Bondi Rescue with is on every Wednesday at 8pm and is about all of the rescues and the on goings of bondi beach.

This is where it becomes relevant as me and Giles walked out of the water after our swim we spotted some girl on the floor being attended to by about 3 lifeguards, so we went for a closer look and the girl did not look very well. Thats when the lifeguard shouted "oi you in the red shorts over here" which was me and i didnt hesitate and just walked over where he said "you have to help us lift this girl to the ambulance over by the roadside" this was when i realised a guy with a massive TV camera and a guy with a sound micraphone recording all of it just to the right of me and they continued filming us carry her up until we put on the ambulence table where i walked away as they carried filming her. I didnt really know what to think as the girl had got closer to the ambulence she was really cold and looking a bit blue but it was not anything really serious. But now i am really excited i might be on national tv this wednesday night!!!!

Later that night we had a big one!!! Dan and Dave were playing downstairs so we headed down there to wach them. They were amazing played all of the classics acoustic style which was a nice change. The place was absolutly heaving with people as well so there was an amazing atmosphere. We drank and danced long into the night!!! Certainly a night to remember by all accounts!!!


Thursday we had a really slack day where did not do a lot. I found out my money had been going a lot quicker than i thought it had which was quite depressing!!! We went to Chinese Gardens quickly and Darling harbour which was ok but not part much from that. Later we watched LOST which was probably the highlight of the day!!!!


Friday we were feeling a bit more active so we decided to head down to Bondi again!! Me and Giles went for a really long swim in the sea before coming back to sunbathe thats when Harry went surfing which he enjoyed!!! After Sunbathing for a bit longer we headed back to the hostel to prepare for another big night out!!! The day before me and harry had bought a 4 litre box of wine which cost us $8.99 about 4 pounds for 4 litres obviously quility stuff we were buying. So we had some tea then quite a bit of wine and we were off out!!! Andy was out as well and feeling generous as he had wored earlier in the day so he bought us most of our drinks with Lisa getting me and haryr a couple of pints each as well. It was a really gd and heavy night. I woke up in the morning having gained a Doller which i was very impressed about as i had a lot to drink!!!!

Saturday The Clash of the Titans we had organised to play football 3 on 3 English vs Scottish!!! We took a bit of a walk to find the nearest park and it was jumpers for goalposts here were come!!! It started at an intense pace with flowing football from either side. Scotland managed to take the lead though though great link up play from andy and alan to cut open our defence they carried on the attack on our goal and it soon became 2-0 then 3-0 and then 4-0 in the first to 5 encounter then we knew we had to give it everything we had left and defend the pride of our country. We soon hit back with me bagging a brace and giles and harry also getting 1 each to level it at 4 - 4 what a game. Then it came down to next goal wins it alan took it from his goaline tried to take it past harry but failed with a gr8 takle from munt he then jogged to the goaline before tapping in to record a quite memorable comeback for the English!!!! After that we found some more people in which we played with on a really boiling day!!!

After the football we headed back to the hostel and prepared for yet another night out. Harry was on the wine again i gave it a miss and we headed downstairs at bout 8 to see what was happening. Thats where we met some yanks and started talking to them. Thats also when we did some shots and Giles tried his first shot and it could not have really been a harsher one as we all did it called the chinese burn!!!! It was a mixture of Tequila, Sambooca and tabasco sauce!!!! A lovely mix not!! The drink mix was ok but it was the tabasco sauce that got us and just burnt our throats. Thats where me, Dan and Harry walked off and got Giles another one this time bout 5 times as much Tabasco sauce we walked over and gave it to him and he only did it because he was trying to impress the quite fit yanks he did it and then bang the sauce kicked in started to burn like mad as he soon downed a few pints of water which was funny to all of us but cant of been to him!!! He soon headed upstairs to rest for while to let it settle. While he did that Me harry, ed and dan headed off up George street to look through a couple more bars and clubs see what was around!! All of the boy racers were out in full force trying to show off!! Especailly funny was the mazda trying to outdo the Ferrari F50 seriously nice car!!! After a look around we headed back to sidebar but that had quiet downed a bit so we went up stairs to watch Chelsea vs Spurs to see William Gallas hit and absoltue wonder Goal and i had Sam next to me who i have become friends with a Chelsea season ticket holder going absolutly basurk!!!!! After that me giles and harry walked to the internet cafe to watch the pompey game on the internet well the writing to see what was going on!!! Harry lasted Till Half time me about 70 min where it was 0-0 Giles then stayed till 1-1 after bout 85 mins he left cos he was to mad that they had equalised and found us on the cusions watching rest of bolton vs west ham games before we went to bed thinking pompey had drawn and all hope was lost and we were relegated!!! before giles recieved a text form danny saying Pedro Mendes scored a 25 yard screamer in last 5 seconds of game!!! he recieved it at 4.30am just as we were going to bed and giles told me we won and i shouted yes not caring everyone else in the room was asleep then harry let out and even louder yes before we happily went to sleep!!!


Sunday our last day in Sydney was a day of Goodbyes looking back on the great time we had there!!! We went down to the Harbour for one last time and headed up the pylon lookout tower which was nice!! Then We went back to the hostel did all our packing beofore heading downstairs for few drinks and games of pool then we went and cooked our last meal of spagetti in the kithchen, very emotional!!! Then we headed down to see live band for on last time and have a few bevrages!!! Giles went to bed so he could get up for the football but me and harry stayed up!! Then Me and Harry Played Alan and Andy in game of pool England Vs Scotland which we also won this time little easier!! Then we walked around town for a bit where we saw the Aus vs SA cricket game for a bit which looked like the most ridiculous game i have ever seen or heard of 872 runs in a one day game overall!!! WOW then we headed back to the hostel and watched Baseketball the film on the big screen downstairs which Giles joined us for!!! Harry lmbered upstairs before the end and then me and giles watched Man Utd Vs Newcastke where Roooooney was amazing!! Hes gonna win us the world cup!!! Giles then went to bed i stayed up with andy and alan for a bit longer before i headed to bed at 2.20am only to be getting up at 4am to get ready for our flight.

Then we got up and check out of wake up before the short ride in the taxi the airport. The flight took about an hour and a bit which we all slept on then an hour bus ride which we all slept on then we were in the city and we caught the train back to essondon. After saying our hellos and letting rob and helen know what we got up to in Sydney we headed off into town to buy some Commonwealth Games Tickets.

Overall on our time in Sydney we have had a brilliant time and loved it. We have def spent a bit more money on going out and stuff but its def been worth it!!! We have also met many a legend in Sydney such as Pool Man, Hostel Man, Bullsh*t Man, Lost Man, Sprite Man, Bar man and of course Andy!!! WakeUp has been amazing hostel it has been so gd meeting loads of new people everyday which has been nice!!!


Right Thats my lot for this time. i hope everyone is having a great time back home and all enjoying yourselves and well!!! Please keep emailing me your views of what we have been up to and what all have you have been up to!!!!


Lots of Love

Chaz x x x


Advertisement



Tot: 0.293s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb