Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
November 11th 2009
Published: November 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Being stuck at check in. Ok that was a little bit stressful!!

“Sorry you cannot board this flight as you have no ongoing flight to New Zealand and no Visa to enter Australia.”

Bollox!

My immediate reaction was to shout abusive words at whoever answered the phone at STA. However Matt was a lot calmer and sensible about it all. We had to wait for STA to open in the UK paid for a phone card and left Matt in charge of all communications.
Basically our flight had been canceled before we left the UK. We were sent an email from STA two weeks or so before we flew. This email looked like a duplicate email and so didn’t pay a lot of attention it was headed London Heathrow to Auckland. We didn’t think too much about reading all the small print! However on this email one tiny line in six pages a connecting flight from Sydney to Auckland was missing!

Anyhoo STA organized us both Australian Visas and we proceeded to very quickly check in and make our way to Sydney. We were a bit like oh crap and ooo how exciting and spontaneous. I was
P1020090P1020090P1020090

Me and My Teapot! :-)
thinking woah Australia aye! Then realized they have scary bugs and things!
Since this was so traumatic and all and not seeing chocolate bars bigger than my little finger I decided to buy the biggest bar of Cadburys dairy milk they had on offer!! It was amazing! I was alittle worried on entering Sydney they were going to take the chocolate away from us as their boarder immigration people are extremely tight! So I stayed close to Matts bag where it was hidden in case of an emergency feast was needed!

At Sydenys arrival desk there is a huge board with backpacker hostels Matt called a few and we got chating to a guy called Steve from Tonbridge wells! We all decided to go to this hostel in Charring Cross right in the heart of Sydney.

Sydney was bloody cold!! My body had forgotten what cold fresh weather was! And was on high alert for needing a blanket and a cup of tea! The hostel was ok, very pricey in relation to Thailand! And same with the food! It was a shock to our system to actually go to a supermarket and cook for ourselves!

One evening we went to world bar where they had cocktails in teapots! OMG they were amazing!! I need to find the cocktail recipe! Matt and I met some kewl people and danced the night away! The next day we went and explored Sydney and Matt showed me where he used to live. Although it was raining and I wasn’t feeling very well Matt showed me to one of his favorite restaurants of all time, little Italy. A tiny Italian restaurant with only four or so tables inside. The Pizza was amazing however I wish I had felt better!

We stayed at this hostel for about three days or so whilst Matt conversed with STA and I made rude hand gestures and pulled funny faces whilst he was on the phone! They found a cheap flight from Sydney to Auckland and so we decided to go with it and not waste anymore money in sydeny and crack on with our New Zealand Adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

P1020101P1020101
P1020101

Matts house when he used to live in Sydney!


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0883s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb