Day 4 - Sydney Day 3 (suburbs)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
September 22nd 2009
Published: September 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Fish MarketFish MarketFish Market

Some scary live aswell as dead seafood for consumption
Awoke fairly late noting Monday’s experience but probably got body clocks on local time zone now… just in time for New Zealand. Headed out mid-morning with no breakfast in hotel. Walked past quite a few café’s enroute to fish market. Plenty of local coffee houses very busy and an amazing coffee smell - they like their coffee here as per Italy. The day was already warm - prob 25oC plus at this time - no need for the rain jacket then.

We stopped for breakfast just outside of Manly harbour in a quiet café on the ground floor of a hotel - one on Shelley street. Had a bacon and egg roll with Claire devouring raisin toast. Headed over Pyrmont Bridge and found the Sydney Fish Market. The place stank - as you’d expect. However, the quality, freshness and variety of fish was amazing. As was the dense occupancy of Asian people with copious amounts of raw fish on their plates eating this excitedly in the market. Claire since educated me in the way of healthy food…. One where it’s possible to eat fish that’s not fried. We came out after a bowl of fresh fruit salad and headed towards the Glebe and Balmain. The latter was ultimately too far away however and we jumped on the tram at the Glebe. We met a nice little Aussie man who gave us a few pointers in seeing Sydney, but we’d done most if not all of his recommendations.

We got off the tram in Chinatown at Capital Square and walked through a small bit of Chinatown. We decided to have lunch as we saw a fab little café - Marmak. A Malaysian Roti Restaurant. Claire had Roti with sweet red onions - jury was largely out as she was still feeling rough - and I had 6 satay beef skewers. Both were very good in my opinion.

After lunch, we headed up on foot past Haymarket towards Paddington, crossing George Street and finding Oxford Street. Early down Oxford Street, we stopped for a few hours to hang out in Copa Cubana for a cool drink or two. We sat in an open fronted licensed coffee bar type building and watched the world pass by. 4pm, we headed down Oxford Street towards Paddington. We walked past a lot of small boutique shops - we only went in one G’star as G’funk wanted a pair of G-eans. The camp store attendant offered a nice pair of tailored jeans for $500. The decision took 3ms.

Upon reaching the rather empty looking Paddington Road (at number 330), we decided to stop and head back with the intent of hitting Kings Cross. Rather than take a cab we set about a navigation exercise. We meandered through a fantastic area, the suburb of Paddington / Darlinghurst. The houses, shops and café’s all looked amazing. I’d move, rent and live quite happily to this area. Fantastic to see the real Sydney suburbs and escape the town. Plenty of café bars to head for breakfast, brunch or dinner in future. Irony was that after Monday night restaurant incident, there were a host of delightful places to eat within 2 streets of where we were.

After this stroll, we found Kings Cross where to be honest, bar Victoria Road on the way down (again a few quality bars and restaurants), there was little going on. Fading at this point however so we jumped on the train at Kings Cross to Martin Place (1 stop!). And returned back to the hotel to get changed for dinner…. Looking forward to Atelier in the Glebe (back to where we were at 12pm today!)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb