Crossing the bridge


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
May 24th 2009
Published: May 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 28 - Pretty Beach to Narabeen, Sydney. Mileage and time to be updated in the morning!!! I forgot to write it on the blog!
It was a beautiful morning, really bright and sunny and the kangaroos were making good use of their time lolling around in the sun by the beach! It crossed our minds to stay another day in Pretty Beach but we’re right at the beginning of our journey and there will be a thousand places where the same thought occurs! I feel like we said the exact same sentence just days ago in Mallacoota but this place beats that by just being so untouched by tourism .... and yet here we are!
We skipped breakfast but showered, packed up and were on our way by 08:56. We had a long journey today of 4hrs 30 minutes and in that time we were due to cover 277 kms.
Our destination had been pinpointed as the Big 4 Sydney Lakeside Holiday Park at Narabeen which meant driving through the city and maybe even over the Harbour Bridge! How exciting.
Not far into our journey we came to a large family of ducks making up their minds whether to cross the road or not! We slowed down but they still couldn’t make their minds up so we continued on our way! The journey was great today, good weather and not too much traffic initially. We stopped for lunch at a rest stop just north of Kiama, by the side of the highway it was nothing spectacular but gave Dar a break from driving and me a break from campsite research! We’re trying to use the Camps 5 book as much as possible as it will save us money in the long run but around Sydney there’s nothing but cosmopolitan sites as you might expect!
As we get closer to the city the traffic gets heavier and our reliance on Tom Tom increases ever more! I wonder how many times I would have sent us the wrong way if we had been left to my map reading skills?! Mr Lawton, I owe you a debt of gratitude!! We made one minor hic-cup navigating through Sydney, we came off the Toll road too early but this was actually a blessing in disguise because if we hadn’t we would have driven through the Harbour Bridge Tunnel, that would have been no fun at all but instead we navigated our way onto the Harbour Bridge road and drove across showing the Opera House and Bridge our Sweetie Pie! They were obviously impressed and we’re sure we will feature on postcards soon!!
In the past we were lucky enough to stay in a very exclusive apartment block which over looked the Bridge and the Opera House but today, block 12 on Lakeside Avenue was to be our destination. There is no swimming pool on the ground floor, it’s a 5 minute walk to the Ocean, there’s no reception staff to wish you a good morning but the staff on reception were exceptional in letting us know that on a Sunday you could ride the buses and ferries for just $2.20 all day! We didn’t take advantage of either today, instead we choose to do our laundry, check out the free wireless hotspot and belt off to Bunnings (we are sure we will be financing their Xmas party at this rate!) to get a hose pipe so we have running (cold) water in the van and a gas bottle for our BBQ.
We check our email whilst at the wireless spot and are delighted at the progress Mum and Dad are making in our garden back home! It’s fantastic perhaps if we stay longer they’ll start on the house!!
Tonight will be all about planning our week in and around Sydney. We’re here for 6 days and we have plenty to cover. We’ll try to have the laptop on at 7pm each evening for a couple of hours which is 10am at home so if anyone’s about and fancies a chat over Skype then please try us if you see us logged on.
Speak to you soon. Love to all and thanks again for all the messages, it really helps us a lot to hear from everyone.
Dar and Sar


Advertisement



25th May 2009

Got yer bat girl?
Hello Sarah, Im very very envious - it looks fantastic- nothing like Ashby - always fancied doing Aus and NZ - most likely never will now. If you've taken your bat with you and fancy a game, don't forget my friend Bob Neville is a winter resident in Aus and plays at Westminster TTC in Perth. He tells me they have an excellent coach and each member has the chance of 15 minutes with him, he was in the Chinese national team and gives everbody a very good work out. Ring Paulus when you get there on 9338 7432 and mention Bob's name. Bob says you can also check all the clubs in Perth from the web site for West Australia (WATTA). Mind you the place looks too nice to bother and play TT. Mike.
27th May 2009

Home from Home
A sign pointing to my home town.... was it 10,000miles that way ?? Glad to see TOMTOM is doing his stuff. I did consider sending you the latest speed camera alerts but realised your pulling a caravan ....no worries there then. Shag looks like he's lost a few pounds with all that walking....... or is it the trick of the light.....ah ha ah ha Keep up the good blog you lucky lucky b's

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb