Family fun in Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
January 29th 2009
Published: February 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

It was with great delight and excitement that Maeve and I headed off to the airport to collect my Dad, Sister Fiona, her Husband Peter and their three children; Sean, Catherine and Kieran. We were amazed at how well all had endured the 34 hours of traveling especially the kids. They were much fresher than any of the ‘oldies.’ Once we collected everybody we got a taxi back to Paddington where we had rented a house for them. After a quick tour of the house the parents retired for the night and Maeve and I brought the 3 kids to the playground at Centennial Park. They had plenty of fun but when Catherine decided we had to go home, we had to go home. When we got home we had to put the kids to bed and sneak out.
When we arrived back the next morning everybody was well rested and the house was bedlam. It was great to see everybody again and I didn’t mind the constant frenzy and screaming and energy from the kids, where do they get it from? It was great to see Kieran who was just a month old when we left and I couldn’t get over how big and cheery he was. He was in great form for the whole 3 weeks, always smiling and content.
Over the next few days we went to the Aquarium, the place was jammed with Families and kids and buggies and it was hot and stuffy. Sean was mad to see sharks and wasn’t a happy camper until we saw some sharks. They were impressive but I think we were all only too happy to get out of there. They also had a display of Dugongs - Sea Cows. They had 2 of only 5 on display in the world. The kids did have a great time looking at crocks, snakes, penguins, sharks, frogs and all kinds of tropical coloured fish especially lots of Nemos.
The next day, New Years Eve and Fiona’s birthday we got the ferry to Taronga Zoo. When we got off the ferry we got a cable car across the zoo and it was a great way for the kids to see the Elephants and Giraffes. When we got in, the first stop was a giant Koala Teddy for pictures. Then Ice-Cream, it was 34C that day. Then we set off to see real Koalas, and then the reptile enclosure with lots of snakes, lizards, alligators, crocs, spiders. Sean and Maeve were afraid but Catherine was in her element. At the snake display she had no reservation about petting the big Python a couple of times, poor Sean wasn’t feeling too brave that day. Seans strength was being able to spot animals and fish hiding and especially the very well camouflages species, how he could spot them when 10 others couldn't. I don't know how - he tells me it's all the ice-cream he eats.
We also came across giraffes, goats, chimps, ostriches, zebra, pygmy hippos, lions, tigers, bears, meercats, elephants, long-eared foxes and various other creatures. We then went to the seal show - this was Seans thing. He loved them and they were quite impressive. Next stop after more ice-cream was the childrens farmyard. There were sheep, pigs, hens, goats and rabbits on display which were naturally a big attraction for Sean and Catherine. Our last stop was to visit the kangaroos and other Australian native species but at this late stage with everybody getting tired and hot it was only the kangaroos getting any whimper of attention from the clan.
We headed home. We arranged a nice meal in our apartment for Fiona, the birthday girl, and then to watch the early 9pm family fireworks display. When they arrived the 3 kids, for whom the fireworks were planned, were asleep. Maeve made a lovely chicken and pesto marscapone dinner which was first class and enjoyed by all. It was the first home cooked meal our visitors had had since leaving home nearly a week before. Then we went upstairs onto our buildings roof to watch the fireworks which were impressive but short. Dad was left downstairs babysitting while we went upstairs to watch. I said after 5 minutes I'd go down and let him go up to watch. As soon as I got back they were over. All that for 5 minutes. We then got out the birthday cake lit the candles and sang happy birthday. Fiona had to blow out the candles herself. I'd say that was the first time she did than since Sean was 1 or 2. After that we called home so that Mam could say her happy birthdays and make sure all was well with the travelers.
After that the crew headed back to Paddington and we headed off to Kevin and Emers for the big fireworks display. It was great to feel the party atmosphere and stand on their balcony and enjoy uninterrupted views of the show. The whole thing lasted 10 minutes and it was quite spectacular but I'm glad I didn't set out at 8 that morning to get a spot and stay in a cramped park for a whole 16 hours in temperature of up to 34C just to see a 10 minute show, no thanks. We stayed a while after but after the hectic day and the heat we were wrecked and glad to head home about 1.30am.
Next day we took it easy. Fiona Peter and Dad went to Doyles of Watsons Bay for a nice meal and then got a ferry to Circular Quay and a tour of the Opera House whilst Maeve and I were glad to take it easy and do some Baby Sitting. Now this involved me falling asleep on the couch and Maeve checking up on the kids - who to the best of my knowledge were asleep, I think.
Over the next 3 days we hired a couple of cars to see a bit of the countryside. On the first day we headed north to the Hunter Valley. It was bad enough when the kids started the whole 'are we nearly there yet?' lark but when Maeve started it was a bit unbearable. We stopped at a little filling station in the middle of nowhere much to Maeve's disgust but everybody else enjoyed a coffee and an ice-cream. Our first big stop was to McGuigans Winery where we had a look at the cellar shop, the vineyard and had a great feed. Then we went next door to the Hunter Valley Gardens. On the way to the gardens we passed the golf courses driving range, which was a bit odd. The range was a lake and the balls floated on the water and were collected by a couple of young lads in a boat with fishing nets- very odd.
As it was quite late in the day we had to rush around the gardens which were really nice. The best part by far was the Storybook garden which had all kinds of fairytale and nursery rhyme chartacters. The kids really enjoyed it, they got to meet Humpdy Dumpdy, Jack and Jill, Alice in Wonderland, the Gingerbread men, the 3 blind mice, and many more.
The next day we left a balmy Sydney (23C) and headed east to the Blue Mountains. We arrived in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops to a chilly 13C. First stop a cafe for some central heating. We arrived in Leura and headed to the Toy and Railway Museum. It was really good with loads of toys from centuries ago to the 60's and 70's. There was an old railway station and a big garden outside so everybody could let off a bit of steam (Bad joke no.2) (sorry). After that we let the family off to have a look at Echo point and the 3 sisters. Next we headed off to a Swiss resteraunt for dinner. It was really nice and the waitress had the patience of a saint, our fellow diners did not, and got up and left soon after our arrival, ooppps. The restaraunt had lovely traditional Cow bells on the wall and a few Cockkoo clocks on the walls. You had to be quick to catch them, they were quick and a bit too quick for Sean and Catherine. They got to see him in the end, with
The Mad Hatters Tea Party from Alice in WonderlandThe Mad Hatters Tea Party from Alice in WonderlandThe Mad Hatters Tea Party from Alice in Wonderland

Peter, Tweedle Dee, Fiona, Kieran, Tweedle Dum, Maeve, the March Hare, Sean, Dad, Catherine, Alice and the Mad Hatter enjoy a spot of tea
a little help from the waitress. After lunch we let the family off to Scenic World to get the cable cars down and to walk around the trees in the Blue Mountains. Maeve and I had already done that so we headed off for a drive with Kieran and collected an excited but tired family and we headed back to Sydney.
On our 3rd day with the cars we headed south to Cronulla to the beach. We had originally planned to head to Kiama along the great Pacific drive but time was pressing on and we'd have just arrived and had to turn around and come straight back. So we decided to stop in Cronulla and have a few hours at the beach instead. It was a lovely day we had a nice picnic in the shade and then got ready for a swim.
A: Where's the green bag with all the kids swimming gear?
B: It's in your car.
A: No it's in your car
B: It's definitely not in my car, it must be in your car
A: No it's definitely not in my car

Yes that's right after all that, the swimming gear was in Paddington not Cronulla. We still managed to go swimming. It was a lovely, if a tad windy, day and we all enjoyed ourselves. It was nearly time for the visitors to move on to Melbourne for the last week of their trip.

I got a call that day (Sunday) from my boss to say that they were cutting back on numbers and not to come in on Monday. Cheers for the heads up there. Sound. I could have arranged a job in the 3 weeks I was off over christmas but this was too little too late. I told Fiona and she just said 'we have a spare bed in the house in Melbourne and a spare seat in the car if I your interested?'. I thought it would be much nicer than sitting around in Sydney all week in the apartment. Over the next few days I tried to see if I could get some work in Sydney but to no avail. All of Australiua is on holidays in January and all businesses go quiet. I booked flights down to Melbourne and away we went.





Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Meeting Humpdy DumpdyMeeting Humpdy Dumpdy
Meeting Humpdy Dumpdy

obviously before he jumped off the wall.
In Great FormIn Great Form
In Great Form

As ever Kieran was all smiles and chuckles


Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0845s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb