We're off to the Zoo and Aquarium


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
January 28th 2009
Published: January 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

23rd November 2008

Today was day to do the Sydney Wildlife World and the famous Aquarium. We caught the ferry and it dropped us right outside the venues. I could waffle on for ages about these great venues, but I won’t, it’s fair to say I highly recommend both, especially the sharks, check out the photos. (I can hear the sarcastic comments from certain people, “really, waffle on, NOOOOO” I know who you are!)

Pete raced around and headed back to the hotel to sleep, you’d think with three kids behind him he’d have more stamina; we weren’t the only ones snoring last night.

Pili and I decided to hang around and go and see a 3D film at the local Imax cinema. ‘Wild Oceans’ was the feature that took our eye but we had a couple of hours to kill first. A food stop was called and as we headed under the express way through the park where we heard music and a faint smell of oriental cooking. We discovered to our delight a Thai Food Festival just coming to an end. Dozens of food stalls and lip synced Thai bands. The bands sucked but the food was great. We sat under a tree to avoid a little drizzling rain and gorged ourselves.

Satisfied but still with a little time to kill we walked along side some ornate fountains and sat and watched the local Bold Ibis’ squabble. A one point we witnessed a distressed female bird trying to stop a male bird eating her young chick, it was heartbreaking, but that’s nature raw in tooth and claw, infanticide is quite common among birds.

The film was superb, especially as it featured lots of Dolphins and Whales filmed off the South African coast. The 3D quality was amazing, it made us smile when the dolphins came out of the screen and swam towards us, just like the Dusky Dolphins we had swam with just days ago.

We didn’t realise the ferry stops at 8pm on a Sunday, it was now 8:15pm, it was a long walk back to the bloody hotel via a frustrating period of trying to call Pete from a call box to see if he wanted to meet us to see the new Bond movie ‘Quantum Solace’. OO7 will have to wait for another time and continent.

Back at the hotel we dragged Pete out and ended up back at the Observer Hotel for some good live music and a few more pints of black stuff.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

I just have to playI just have to play
I just have to play

Pili also fondled this snake


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb