I've seen that face before


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
January 13th 2009
Published: January 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=l3ESz517KMc]We didn't realise until we were at Melbourne Airport, flicking through some papers (as you do) that we were arriving in Sydney for opening night of the Sydney Festival.
While we were in the air with phones switched to 'Airplane' mode we got a text from our friend Chrissie saying that she'd pick us up from the airport. Weren't really expecting it so we hadn't turned the phones back on, so we didn't get it till we'd forked out for a cab and were safely tucked up in our room.

Anyway, she followed it up with a text saying that they were all going down to the city as there were loads of free things on and would we like to join them? Well yes, of course we would, so it was a quick shower, change and head off down to catch the ferry over to the city.

We walked up past the Opera House, through the Botanical Gardens, The Domain and Hyde Park. Stages were being set up and soundchecks done as we wandered up. Stopped to watch an old-skool hip-hop dance competition, some were good, some not so good, but there was a great vibe building up.
Eventually got to the corner of Liverpool and Oxford streets where we had arranged to meet Chrissie and, much to our surprise, met her effortlessly. Only problem was the bar we were going to have a drink in was closed. Fortunately, the one on the opposite corner was open. After one of those 'talking on the mobile asking "where are you" while looking at each other across the road' interludes, we met up with some of the others. Gradually more and more people joined our little group and we got to know each other over a few drinkies.

Then a trip to the bottle shop for more to take to watch the bands. Christine's friends were organized, rugs, food, silly amounts of wine! Found a lovely spot, enough room for all 8 of us, and then the Cat Empire started playing - how fab! Followed by Grace Jones - double fab! Danced and drank too much - triple fab! Not the next morning though.......But we were being whooshed off again, this time to the beach for a 'banish the hangover' walk.
Worked a bit, probably would have been wiser not to need one............ but then wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age !!

Seems like we haven't had a 'quiet moment' since we hit Sydney, but it's all been great fun. Met with Chrissie and a couple of her friends last night - they were going indoor climbing - so B joined them. I was really proud of her, she rose to the challenge brilliantly. I just sat and watched and grabbed a bit of video. I may be fitter than I was, what with all this walking lark, but I wasn't quite ready for that.

Going to have a quiet day over at Manly today, probably go down to our favourite little hangout, Shelly Beach, then tomorrow it's back to the Festival fray - The Bays are doing an improvised soundtrack to the film 'Run, Lola, Run' being shown on a big floating screen at Darling Harbour. Yet another free event.
I've been mightily impressed at the way Aussies put on a great range of outdoor events that go off very smoothly and with an excellent atmosphere.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Sydney Opera HouseSydney Opera House
Sydney Opera House

Well, you have to, don't you?


13th January 2009

Bridge Walk
Now for the famous Sydney Bridge Walk ? N. Kidman did it ! I may have to stop reading, this whole trip is making me green !
14th January 2009

looking good batman
Hey---you two are looking sooooooo well!!!! Ant---a shadow of yerself---keep on 'till 'The Rainbows end and a big thanks for all the stuff!!!
14th January 2009

Impressed or what?????
We really are SO impressed with you guys! Fantastic, no wonder Mrs Ant has been surprised by all the activity - and no mention of Voddie for days...you are feeling OK aren't you? Wish we were there too - still freezing here - literally. You missed -9 the other night, being so cold was SUCH a pleasure, as I'm sure you'll recall, or perhaps not!

Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb