Update on Riots


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
December 14th 2005
Published: December 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Some of you have been asking us about the riots that have been occurring lately in and around Sydney. While they have been in beach towns, so far they have been south of us. The closest town experiencing the problems is Maroubra. Though it’s only a few miles south of us, it’s not within walking distance of Bondi and it’s not part of the chain of beaches that we frequent.

The problems are racial and primarily driven by young gangs with nothing better to do then text message each other about places to have riots. Schools out, it’s summer, the holidays are here and all these gangs have time on their hands. Add to the mix a lower drinking age and a looser policy on public drinking and you have a recipe for riots.

Many of the locals I’ve talked to say this happens at the beaches every now and then because there is so much tension about the Eastern Suburbs (where we live) being upscale even though the beaches are free with public access to anyone. If there is existing racial tension (and there is) then the beaches can often serve as a catalyst to kick off major incidents and that has been the case here - - this all began when a life guard was attacked a few weeks ago.

For my Philly readers, it’s very similar to an atmosphere one might find in Wildwood, NJ. Not the nicest beach town, overrun with disenfranchised youth and a place where you just need one incident to spark a huge reaction. And as is often the case, what might have started out as a legitimate issue around real racial concerns has spiraled down into a reason for destruction and a mob like mentality with no real agenda other than to produce chaos and fear in communities.

So that’s the news from the neighborhood.

In the Baird family we are preparing for my parents arrival. They come this Sunday and have had their suitcases packed since this past Monday. Not that these are big suitcases that might have taken a day or so to pack. My parents, or rather my dad, have a strict ‘no checked luggage’ rule. And considering my mom is bringing me some American supplies (Glad Press N Seal, bottle liners etc) and some Christmas presents for Abby there isn’t much room for clothes. No matter that they are traveling to the other side of the world for three weeks, if they can’t carry it on, it ain’t coming. So they just packed their small suitcases a week in advance simply out of sheer excitement. And I have to say, despite the fact that I know my dad will wear the same outfit for three weeks, we are pretty darn excited ourselves!!

Thanks again for your inquiries about the riots, we are fine and have no qualms about the beaches we visit. Hopefully this will blow over and all of Sydney can have a relaxed week before Christmas.


Advertisement



14th December 2005

have a crazy, fun holiday with your mom and dad-enjoy the family time immensely. i'm sure they can't wait to see abby:) xo a blessed christmas to you and yours!
14th December 2005

Your sartorial slur
In my methodical way I have considered all the varied enviroments I will encounter in Oz -- beach, desert, bush, around town, around the house, and even dinner at a nice restaurant. I will come with all clothing necessary to decent and comfortable living in those environments. So, dear and excited daughter, far from wearing the same outfit for three weeks, I intend to dazzle you with a veritable peacock display of sartorial splendor with only the carefully selected clothes that fit into the tiny space in my roll-a-board that is not devoted to gifts for Abby. See you in a few days. I love you, Dad

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0867s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb