G'day Folks!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
March 11th 2008
Published: March 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Neil:
Hello everyone. I hope you are all well. We have finally arrived in Sydney and what a place. Our plans are to stay in Sydney for a few days and then we pick up our "Hippie Campervan" and head off to Melbourne to see the Grand Prix - so we're both really excited about this part of our journey. It also nice to understand the language - Asia is hard work in some places when nobody speaks the same language as we do.

The first impressions of Sydney are great! Within a couple of hours of landing, were at the Quayside staring at the harbour bridge and the Opera House. The vibe that you get is amazing and everybody seems to smiling and relaxed. The opera house itself is a bizarre design. Some travel writers coment on it's beauty but in my opinion it's hideous. I guess it's so famous because its so different to any other architecture in any other city.

We took a ferry over to a place called Manly in North Sydney, where we started a 10km walk along the coast to a place called spit bridge. It was amazing! You close to the city but the walk takes you past some stunning beaches and through the bush! The widlife is also fantastic to see. We were walking along a cliff top track and i nearly trod on a Lizard that was around 18" long. It was huge and it scared the living daylights out of me. There are loads of birds of all sorts of colours and the famous kookaburras that cackle and laugh quite loud.

We also had the pleasure of meeting up with an old buddy from England who now lives in Sydney - the infamous Gary Williams. Many people who've been to Sydney have told me that once i've been i'll want to live there. Before I came i was adamant that it wouldn't be something that would cross my mind - I think England is great and I really enjoy living there. However after spending an evening with a few resident Brits, it very easy to see how so many people do it. The lifestyle of your average Sydneysider is much more laid back that in the UK.

Nicky:
Hi. I love Sydney!! I have finally ditched my combat trousers and hideous brown coat and replaced them with shorts and flip flops. The harbour area is fantastic - it feels a lot like Brighton with all the cafes and bars. We spent our first afternoon eating fish and chips and drinking wine at a restaurant on the beach - one of Sydneys oldest restaurants. The walk through Manly was brilliant, it's unbelievable to think you're so close to such an amazing city but walking through thick bush. I am so looking forward to the Grand Prix and getting our little van!!

Speak to you soon.
Lots of love, Nicky.xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



11th March 2008

How Green
Hi guys, sounds like you're having a great time. I thought I was envious of your trip, but now going to the Grand Prix has really made me green!!! Take some photos and tell us all about it. Please say hi to Gary and get him to send me his email address. Take care and enjoy the sunshine. Only wet and stormy weather here in the west country! Vic xxxx
21st March 2008

G day
Hi Neil and Nicky. Just caught up with your blog reports. Fantastic. Make our all inclusive week in Cuba look a little sad. Make the most of your time time in Aoz. We think that is the place to make your mark in life. Hope camping in Kings Canyon is on your do list and also Palm Valley. We can"t wait to hear from you in South America. Having been in NZ in Feb your travels will be fesh in our minds. Get to Christchurch, Dunedin and Napier. In our opinion Wellington is a no no . Take care. Smell ,see , hear and touch every sense. Rock and roll. Love Barrie and Diane , Eastbourne

Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb