Royal Botanical Gardens


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
December 27th 2007
Published: December 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today I decided to visit the botanical gardens which are right in the middle of the city. If I were to live here, this would be one of my favourite walks. I spent the whole afternoon walking in the RBG.

The first pic of the Wollemi pine tree which was only discovered in 1994 in the wollemi national park. It is a prehistoric tree that was discovered by accident by a trekker in a remote part of the range. Since then, that part of the mountain range has been protected. This is a really weird looking pine tree. The needles look like pine but the leaves look like ferns.

The second pic is of me with the opera house and Sydney harbour bridge in the background. this is one of the best spots to watch the NYE fireworks, but people usually camp out for the chance to get one of these coveted spots.

The third pic is the downtown view from the gardens.

And the last pic is of some notorious residents in the botanical gardens: the flying foxes!! These guys hang upside down during the day and fly about over the city at dusk. They are
View from RBGsView from RBGsView from RBGs

Best spot to watch the NYE fireworks!
completely harmless. As a matter of fact, they pollinate many of the trees and shrubs in the gardens and the city, and help control the insect population. Poor guys they get a bad rap just because they don't look like the cuddly Koalas (which BTW I have been told they are mean little buggers!!!) Go figure!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

RBGRBG
RBG

I was going to the public washrooms when this guy showed up very intent on not letting me get to the washroom door. After an intense staring contest, I decided that I did not really want to go that bad anyway...


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb