Sydney Social Forum


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
August 27th 2005
Published: September 10th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Rachel and FriendsRachel and FriendsRachel and Friends

Dinner in an Aboriginal Art Gallery
Over the weekend I attended the Sydney Social Forum. In all honesty I was a bit disappointed. It did provide an interesting insight into how things are in Australia. Their government is WAY worse than ours on things like refugees and the war in Iraq.

Most of the sessions just seemed like a bit of a talk-fest, with no real talk of action which could be taken immediately. Many sessions were about plans of how the world could work (grand socialist schemes) which didn't seem to place any focus on the implementation. The turn-out of 300 people seemed a little low for a city of 3 million!

The whole forum seemed a bit scattered, there were no events which brought all the people together, and I thought that more could have been done to introduce people to each other.

However I did find some of the material interesting, and met a few interesting people. After one of the sessions I ended up going back to an Aboriginal Art Gallery where some people I meet from the forum were staying for dinner! Quite an experience eating dinner sitting on a crocodile skin, surrounded by Aboriginal art.

Advertisement



12th September 2005

Talkfest
For Engineers, people of action, All talk and no go makes for disappointment. In both Aussie and NZ there are more action-orientated movements to get involved with, ie. RedR.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb