More Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
April 16th 2007
Published: April 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We've finally got a day free to go to the zoo which is across the harbour so we have to take a ferry. The ferry ride was fun if a bit cold with some great views of the usual landmarks. The zoo is on a hill sloping down to the harbour so we took a cable car to get to the top rather than walk the whole way!

The first animals we saw were some koalas which Kathy thought were very cute and kept going on about how cuddly they looked! We then trotted over to see the giraffes getting fed a lot of carrots and grabbing them with their tongues - one giraffe was blind but that didn't seem to hamper her eating at all - she stuck her tongue out when she wanted more food which seemed to be all the time! We saw lots of other animals including an elephant who was engaged in a mighty battle with two tyres on a rope - he kept getting his leg stuck in one and then fighting madly to get free and then going back for more!

There were also lots of Australian animals there including a duck-billed platypus which we managed to catch a brief glimpse of - they are very secretive. There was also a Tasmanian devil snoozing away and he had very big claws and teeth for his little size. One good bit was a nocturnal display with loads of little marsupials such as bilbys and possums which only come out at night - they seem to be the Australian equivalent of rats and mice.

We had to take a bus back because the ferry was experiencing problems but that was good because we got to see some of the less central bits of Sydney.

On our last day in Sydney we spent the morning trekking up and down William Street which has all the car hire places on and we've managed to get a little Toyota Yaris for when we go down to Melbourne and took a look at the camper we're thinking of hiring to get down from Cairns later on. In the afternoon we went to the Powerhouse museum which sounded a bit like the Science museum in London but was nowhere near as fun, oh well.

Tomorrow it's off the the Blue Mountains and the next leg of our trip!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb