Climb the Bridge


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
January 27th 2007
Published: January 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This was the day I had been dreading for weeks. The whole gang agreed to climb the bridge, even though most of the girls were petrified, all or nothing was the decision, if the girls didnt agree the men wouldnt leave us behind.

We had a taxi to the venue and arrived so early for our booking so we agreed to go on the earlier climb instead of sitting around twiddling our thumbs. All together including our six, there was a group of twelve people; two from USA, one from Spain and the remaining six from Oz. We all had to watch a safety video and take the breath test to ensure everyone was sober enough to climb, then we were allocated our kit and safety harness. As it was going to be a warm day, we were advised not to wear much clothing under our boiler suit. Then headphones and radio packs were fitted and tested. Our caps, sunglasses, hair bobbles, had to be clipped onto the back of our suits, so they couldnt blow away or fall below. Then it all began.
We walked back outside the building, down the street to a doorway right under the bridge structure, had another safety chat before clipping on our safety harness and started the climb. I was so nervous I found myself volunteering to go first, after the guide of course. My reason being if everyone else was as scared as I was, it would be best to get it over with before I chickened out. We walked across this grid type of platform with the traffic roaring and speeding below. The next step was to climb a few steep vertical ladders to get up on top of the bridge, then a gradual incline of steps to get to the centre of the bridge. We stopped every few yards to catch our breath, ask questions, to admire the views and have our pictures taken. Once we made it to the centre of the bridge, we stopped to admire all the surrounding scenery of Sydney Cove.airplanes and helicopters (they waved) were flying past; traffic was streaming below, boats were bobbing in the sea, the sun was blazing down with a touch of a breeze and no-one could believe they were there. It was surreal, invigorating, totally amazing and I cant wait to do it again. On the way down, we took the steps steady, but didnt want to go back. We had to put the entire equipment and clothing away, fill in a questionnaire, then decide which photos to keep, difficult decision. The only downer was a lack of drinks. I suppose it is difficult having water fountains on the route, but we were so thirsty, it was an arduous walk, honest!

When we came out of the Bridge building we walked just down the hill into The Rocks; the oldest area of Sydney with lots of Old World charm cafes, pubs, restaurants and interesting tourist shops and stalls. The girls browsed the market whilst the men sampled the local brew in an Irish bar.

We walked a short distance to Circular Quay, the hub of Sydney Harbour, a vibrant, bustling place with ferries leaving every few minutes to different parts of the harbour, including Manly, Watson, Mosman and Taronga Park Zoo. Everyone had told us we must catch the ferry to Manly, which is situated at the northern end of Sydney Harbour and has a surfing beach and one of Sydney's longest and most beautiful ocean beaches. The ferry ride took about 30 minutes, it looked like it was going to rain, the men sat outside and the ladies played it safe, sitting inside. We docked at one side of Manly and the beaches were situated the opposite side of town. It was a breezy afternoon but still sunny, so we ate al fresco, everyone was starving hungry, all that exertion climbing the bridge I expect. Then we explored the other side of town. The beach was crowded, so was the sea; people were sailing, rowing, surfing, happy little lot. Decided to go back to Sydney and hotel, wash and change and have an early dinner. Cant think why as we hadnt long eaten lunch.
Lynne, Chris, Julie and Ian dined at Doyles the famous seafood restaurant, originally only at Watsons Bay, now also at the harbour and at the fish market in Sydney. Bob and I werent that hungry and as the Maitre D wouldnt allow us just to sit with our friends and have a drink, we moved on to Circular Quay. We had a few drinks and sat people watching, as well as listening to the variety of quay buskers. The others met us later and we had a stroll around Darling Harbour, before the place became alive and full of youngsters all flocking to the open air nightclubs and bars and us old uns had to return to the hotel a little worst for wear.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0938s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb