The Oz Diaries Day 6 and 7


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
January 23rd 2007
Published: January 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

TakayaTakayaTakaya

Takaya (4) having her spa treatment
All I can add at the mo is that I am what you might class as 'chilled mate'
Alcimitising to the weather especially as today and yesterday are a full 10 degrees cooler than Saturday and Sunday -- 30 versus 40 degrees.
On Saturday Caroline felt a little 'tired' from Friday night and had to spend a lot of the day in bed.
Tim took us on a walk through the little forest near the house and to the next suburb called Como - we passed beautiful colonial style houses with sweet smelling flowers and trees en route. We took the kids to the swimming pool which was next to the yachting bay. Anton and I had a swim in the river after - the water was actually warm - heaven. We then sat outside a cafe and watched the yachts go sailing and the kids who are on summer holiday jump off the pier into the toasy waters. Caroline joined us later at the Como hotel for a gin and tonic. As has become the nightly custom it was then back to their house for a barbecue.
On Sunday we decided to head for the beach as early as possible
SynchronisedSynchronisedSynchronised

Even in Oz Mary and Anton practise Synchroised swimming (in the river in COMO)
and reached Cronulla beach one of Sydney's longest at about 10.30. Anton registered for his Christmas present - 4 surfing lessons and an hour later after his quick swim test he was on a board. I of couruse soaked up the sun and went in and out of the water like a water baby. The waves here are HUGE and really powerful but the lifeguarding system - a national institution is second to none. Swimmers are strongly advised to swim between the two flags only and NO ONE has drowned in Oz between these flags since the stystem was set up. That area is heavily patrolled with the rest of the beach available for surfers. Wave rage does exist and not surprisingly so on Sunday when the water seemed full at times !
Anton loved his lesson though found it very exhausing and said I proably wouldn't be able for a full surf but did say to have one lesson so I might before the week is out. He did manage to cacth 'one wave' so came home tired but happy. I came home RED RED RED -- yes I burnt but to be fair so did ALL the adults. We didn't realise that it was quite as hot as it was 40 degrees and well we just ( me in particular) didn't cover ourselves enough. I have now bought a hat and have been told it's a comfortable 27-29 degrees for the next few days
Mary

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb