Down Under!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
January 9th 2007
Published: February 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Xmas and New Year in Aus!



Sydney

I left Wellington and arrived in Sydney on 15th December. I was welcomed by Kat in the arrival area. She too has family in Aus so was easily pursuaded to leave WYG for a month and make a trip to Aus 😊! We had a well needed gos and catch up sesh before we then got picked up by a shuttle to take us to Katherine's cool Uncle Mark's in Newport! Mark took us both out in the evening for a Thai and glass of wine (or two). A good way to start time in Aus!

The next day Vikki (my mum's second cousin) and family came over to Newport in the morning to say hi. We busily sorted out itinerary for the next few weeks! Kat and I then caught a flight up to the Whitsundays in the afternoon for a week in hot sun!

The Whitsundays - sailing and crocs!

We checked into the Back Packers at Airlie beach and then went out for a meal in the evening to a place called 'Ship Wrecked' and then headed back to the hostel for a drink. The next day we had a full day in Airlie. Went down to the lagoon by the beach and sunbathed (or should I say baked! From that day we both learnt that the sun was ALOT stronger over here!) After applying lots of the Aloe Vera we then went out with one of our room mates Andrea (an aussie) in the evening and had a few drinks in the hostel bar.

Monday we set off on a two night three day sailing trip round the Whitsunday Islands on a boat called Kiana. Took many a sea leg to make sure I didn't get ill! We had a crew of three: Brent (Skipper), Scooter (Diving instructor) and Abi (cook). Bleary eyed, we all boarded by 8am and were briefed on the trip by the ever chirpy Brent. Being an ex-Navy diver (explosives expert at that), he had a true passion for sailing which was great as he was constantly feeding us with information about the boat, marine life, the wildlife around us and star gazing. Once briefed we were shown to our cosy sleeping quarters. We soon set sail and being only a group of 14 (excl. crew), got to know each other pretty quickly.

By around 9am, the boys were getting hungry, having been awake since 6am, it was understandable. Time for the first beer. We sailed on for a few hours, and, after a cracking lunch, anchored to explore The Whitsunday Island and Nature Reserve. We saw Whitehaven Beach - ranked as one of the top 10 in the world. The beach was deserted when we arrived, so we were able to don our flattering stinger suits without embarassment, and enjoy the waves. However, Kat did manage to embarass herself by putting her stinger suit on back to front. Scooter was eyeing her up saying she was some sort of bond chick! She then quickly put it the right way! Whitehaven was the main attraction of the first day. The next day we hit the water. The PADI-certified divers went off diving after a 7am brief, while the rest of us went snorkelling. The waters were a little murky due to the coral spawning, but we still managed to capture some colourful fish and corals on our trusty Kodak underwater camera. The next day those of us who weren't certified got a free inroductory lesson into diving. It was great! Although my ears struggled to equalise which was annoying but still managed to see some cool coral, clams and pretty (and also some giant!) fish!

The days were spent sailing around the islands to different bays and beaches, where we dived and snorkelled some more. The nights saw us drink some more beer, play cards and re-name the star constellations. Our 2nd and final night saw us anchor at Hayman Island, resort for the rich and famous. Robbie Williams was supposedly in residence around this time, being on his tour of Australia. Despite numerous calls from the girls, he chose not to entertain us (poor pun but it had to be done).

We arrived back at Airlie and to round off the trip we then went out with people we met on the boat in the evening.

The next day we had booked to go on a crocodile safari! I was however still swaying and bumping into walls. After three days and two nights on Kiana I still felt like I was on a boat! We tried some damper and tea from the billy. Also got the chance to hold a tree snake. The safari first included an Eco Tour through the mangrove forest. Got to see some wallabies and cool birds. In the afternoon after a cracking BBQ we headed out onto the Proserpine river to look out for some crocs in the wild! Saw quite a few crocs - massive beasts! We were told a few tales and interesting facts about them too. (One fact: Apparently deaths from crocs are manily drunk 20yr old guys thinking they can 'safely' swim across the river and back without being eaten!..Hmm, may be not.) Apart from having a screaming baby sat next to the microphone for most of the boat trip and leaving with a head ache the day was brill!

Brisbane

We flew from Airlie to Brisbane and treated ourselves to staying in a hotel for two nights. Made a trip to the Koala Wildlife Sanctuary and saw my first Koala! After seeing the koalas we went round the markets along South Bank in Brisbane. Nice bars and restaurants down there too. Quite cosmopolitan. Made a trip to the cinema in the eve and the next day finished off our xmas shopping. Really liked Brisbane - was a flying visit but well worth seeing.

Sydney for xmas

Got back to Sydney xmas eve and Vikki's husband Allan picked me up from the airport and took me back to their home in Ingleburn. Christmas eve they took me for a tour round their neighbourhood to see how 'all out' people went to decorate their houses with lights! Impressive. Xmas day we went to Allan's mum's for dinner. They warned me that it would be a 'crazy' day and it certainly was! Was fun though and Allan's family were very welcoming. Plenty of food, drink and a few family arguments along the way)!

Boxing day Kat met up with me and The Crumps in Ingleburn and all of us went out for the day in Sydney. Went past the Opera house and harbour bridge. Went to see the start of the Sydney to Hobart boat race from the flat of Vikki's friends which overlooks the city. Hit some of the shops. Sydney, boxing day = absolute chaos!!! Few bruises as a result.

Mackrel Bay

Kat's Uncle Dave has a holiday home at a place called Mackrel Bay. We escaped there for a couple of days between xmas and New Year. Lovely quite remote place which you can only access by boat. It is close to Palm Beach (aka 'Summer bay' i.e. Home & Away) so we went there one day. Did plenty of walking too! Bush walking in the National Park to see the Aboriginal markings. Katherine's Uncle and cousins gave us our first fishing lesson and introduced us to the local wildlife i.e. trying at every opportunty to scare us with any creature they came across! True to form we would jump.

New Year

New Year we met up with Andrew, David, Sach and Jaz who we met when we went sailing. Started queing to get a good viwing spot in the Botanic Gardens (Mrs Maquaries Chair) from about 10.30am! Took nearly three hours to get in (and we thought when we were early when we started queing!) Managed to get a good spot though. We claimed our spot and entertained ourselves during the day with wine, food and card games. Also met up with Aine who I met in NZ too. The fireworks were unbelievable. It was the 75th aniversary so they put on two shows. Eventually got on a bus back to Newport after- was a crowded scramble to get on. Got back about 4am - thanks to Kat as I fell asleep on the bus! New Years day was pretty much ruled out. Went down to Newport beach then attempted to cure the hangover with a curry.

Sydney

Made a trip to Manly and caught the ferry to Circular Quay in the centre of Sydney. Went for a tour round the Opera house. Would have been cool to see a show but no surprise it was all fully booked. Was good to see it though. After the tour darted for the ferry to get to Darlingharbour and we met up with Rich, friend from working on summerschools in Durham, and went round the Aquarium. Entertained ourselves for quite a while in the shark tunnel! Headed to one of the bars on the harbour front after.

Met up with Jason (guy that I met in Airlie Beach) for the day and took us out on his boat to see the full view of the Opera house and Harbour bridge. Was great fun! Getting the boat out of the water at the end of the trip was some what entertaining. There was a massive hole in the ramp and struggled to get it on the trailer. It took two guys and plenty of smoke from back spining tyres to get it out!

After viewing the harbour bridge a few times from the ground Kat and I thought we'd tackle the challenge to climb the harbour bridge. Took 3 hrs (half of that was however preparation. Kitting ourselves up in our attractive jump suit type things, hats and head sets). We made it to the top though!

Blue Mountains and final day...

Last weekend in Aus Mark took us up to the Blue Mountains. Had a sundowner overlooking the Three Sisters and mentally prepared ourselves for the hike that was to follow the next day. Met up with Mark's friend Tony and they were our experienced guides for the day. Mark used to live in the mountains and Tony has his second home there so they know the area pretty well. They took us on quite a challenging walk. Was fantastic though. Not many tourists hike the track we did so we got to see alot. Had chance for a swim and cool down in the waterfalls. Discovered many a new friend in our shoes though - leeches!!! The hike was such an achievement for us we rewarded ourslves with an indian meal that eve.

Last day in Aus we had a short 10 min walk in the mountains and then headed back to Newport. I busily sorted/prepared myself for leaving for Africa and went out with Jason in the eve. Loved it Aus. Definately going to have to go back!


P.S Sorry for the lateness in the blog entry - thought I could update it in Africa but internet availability has been somewhat limited!

P.P.S I would have uploaded more pics (reason being as above!)

P.P.P.S I'll hopefully be able to do Africa entry before I'm home (reasons above explain if not!)








Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



26th February 2007

Boating Adventure
HI there Hannah Nice picture of the boats being stuck on the boat ramp. You have definitely captured how stuck we were on the boat ramp. It looks like you are enjoying africa. The time has gone quickly.

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb