Sydney - Christmas and New Year


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
December 25th 2006
Published: January 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sydney @ XmasSydney @ XmasSydney @ Xmas

Christmas Dinner with all the trimmings, including party games!!!
Wow! It seems to have been ages since the last time we sat down and did a bit of blogging!

Its now January 6th, and its hot and steamy in tropical Cairnes!! However, there is a couple of weeks events to go through first!

Turned up in Sydney, backpacks in tow, and spent a couple of days just by ourselves. Took a trip to Coogee Beach, and wandered down to the Harbour, whilst spending our sleeping nights in a disticnctly average motel in a place called Glebe.

Our plan in Sydney was to meet up with Karens good friends from Stockport - Kay and Katheryn, with their respective boyfriends, for a couple of weeks festivities in the glorious Sydney sunshine... having booked an apartment to accomodate us all.

Bit of strife started us off, had trouble with the apartment we booked. It was basically a building site. Turns out they had cocked up almightly and bumped us out our place. We did receive about 40% compensation though, so not all bad.

Had a nice Xmas dinner on Xmas eve, which Karen cooked. Got drunk.

Went to the beach at Coogee on Xmas day, which made
Xmas Day @ Coogee BeachXmas Day @ Coogee BeachXmas Day @ Coogee Beach

Chilling out on the beach... can anyone spot Santa??
a nice change from the norm, but not at all christmasy. Got drunk.

Went to the Royal Randwick racecourse on Boxing Day, for the horse racing. Top laff, lost lots of money then went raving out to Coogee Bayh Hotel. Got drunk.

Saw a couple more beaches around Sydney, and met up with some friends - spent a great night catching up with Karens cousin Jeniffer and family after a day on the beach at Manly.
Went boozing with her old neighbour John...

New Years Eve did the obligatory fireworks watching overlooking the Harbour Bridge and Opera House. Me and Sam (Kays boyfriend) spent a lovely 2.5 hours queueing to get in, whilst the girls were being manicured, pedicured and facial'd... was a good laugh though, albeit boiling hot with nowhere to escape. Few bottles of Sav Blanc helped out though and a great time was had by all. Excellent fireworks, if a little short!

Happy New Year... old langsine the works...

Following day, we trooped out to the Domain to Field Day. Had a bit of a rave, fantastic atmosphere. Band called "Crazy Penis" were brilliant in the day, and later "The Presets" were
Boxing Day @ Sydney RacesBoxing Day @ Sydney RacesBoxing Day @ Sydney Races

Xmas Kiss, makes up for lack of winning on the horses
also brilliant. Top Time had by all... finished at 11pm, so we trotted of for a quick pint before a well earned sleep!!!

All went for a meal at the Darling Harbour (had Kangaroo... pretty good) , followed by a trip to the Cargo bar, which had an upstairs bar with views over the harbour, pretty cool!

Only other thing of note we did in Sydney was the Harbour Bridge Climb... suited up in Star Trek-esque suites... we traversed stairs, steps, walkways and bridges, all attached to some steel wire via a castor type thing... great views out across the bay, and over to the blue mountains. Well worth doing, although we aint so sure about the value for money aspect of the trip, as it was $200 a pop. About 40quid.

Ooops... Karen just reminded me! We went to Sydney Opera House, to see a big band and some singers belt out songs from the Beatles White album. Cracking doo. Hilarious backing singer with curly hair could nt had absolutely no rhythm... great singers, although one was a little rocky to cover Beatles songs, made everything sound like Bon Jovi.

So, said goodbye to the
Boxing Day @ Sydney RacesBoxing Day @ Sydney RacesBoxing Day @ Sydney Races

Karen, Kay and Kathryn (KKK) - Vino going down a treat
gang on the 5th Jan, said goodbye to our home for the time, and headed to the airport for a relatively quick 3 hour flight up to Cairnes, for some tropical heat, massive bugs and 2m birds...

to be continued...

ps. We dont have any photos at the mo, cos our newly bought Pentax camera seems to have gone tits-skywards. Hopefully Kay and Kathyrn will be emailing us some, so will update the blog then... We might be on our 3rd camera of the trip soon.... brrrrrr!!!!








Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

NYE @ SydneyNYE @ Sydney
NYE @ Sydney

All day drinking, whilst waiting for the midnight fireworks...
NYE @ SydneyNYE @ Sydney
NYE @ Sydney

View of the fireworks, in the daytime. Great spot.
NYD @ Field Day, SydneyNYD @ Field Day, Sydney
NYD @ Field Day, Sydney

Team photo for a cracking day out...
NYD @ Field Day, SydneyNYD @ Field Day, Sydney
NYD @ Field Day, Sydney

Jim and Kaz... raving safe.
SydneySydney
Sydney

Typical Opera House shot


8th January 2007

HPN
Happy new year to both of ya. So good to hear you are having a ball. Enjoy!!!! X Matt
8th January 2007

The queue, the damn bloody queue
Oh the horror of that queue... It was lovely to see you both. You can skype me if you want - search for samsamsamw and I'll accept you as friends
13th January 2007

Indeed!
And thanks for being our mule Sam, and taking all our stuff back to Blighty! Much appreciated!!
13th January 2007

Aah, you're not dead after all
I was getting worried what with not having updated the blog for a while!! Glad you had a good NYE. Happy new year and all that :)

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb