Exploring the Western Coast of Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
March 13th 2021
Published: March 13th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com 13th March - Sunrise & exploring at Avoca Beach



The 1.7-kilometre long beach stretches between two sandstone headlands.

The name Avoca is Celtic for “great estuary” or “where the river meets the sea” and the town was named by the first resident John Moore. (No relation, haha)



It was 7am and the sun was coming up as the surfers and the rescue patrol were out preparing for the day ahead.

Our guide just kept the camera rolling so we could hear the sound of the sea lapping against the shore and further out creating waves for the surfers.



We walked to the end of the beach where weathered crater like rock pools appeared. With the blue grey colour in the rock & surrounding surface of orange & red it was like a tapestry. Our guide wasn’t sure what causes this in nature’s geology.



There were plenty of fishermen on the edge of the rocks, it looked rather precarious at some points with the waves crashing up over them.



Our guide Matt had special grip shoes which you really need when walking over the
slippery rocks. He carried a long selfie stick and every now and then he would attach the camera so we could see inside the rock pools, we didn’t see much in the way of marine life but the effect was still amazing.



The walk lasted about 45 minutes and was being repeated a couple of hours later when the tide would be higher so I thought I would join that one too in the hope of seeing a bit more marine life and also Pelicans which usually frequent the rocks.



No luck with Pelicans unfortunately but it was an enjoyable time to escape at 10pm in the U.K. from the wind blowing outside and imagine I was in the hot Australia sunshine.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement








Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb