Crab Racing


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Sydney Harbour
November 28th 2011
Published: November 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Whilst on the free walking tour earlier in the week, we were given a flyer which was advertising crab racing at a bar around the corner from our flat, which took place every Monday night. So we decided we needed to check it out.

The crab racing was taking place at Scu bar which is right under the largest YHA hostel in Sydney – this should give you a good picture of what the place looked like already. Filled with travellers and students, jugs of beer/snakebite everywhere you looked and all you can eat pizza – safe to say Will felt right at home!

We of course had to indulge in the all you can eat pizza – and I think we got our money’s worth managing 4 pizza’s between us. And we were here for the crab racing so we had to place a bet. We paid a dollar to get our own crab which we named the Thames Tickler, and all 19 crabs were placed inside an upturned bucket in the middle of a circle on the stage. The winner was the first crab to make it to the outside of the circle. There were 2 phrases which the commentator clearly made about our Thames Tickler, these were ‘Hasn’t actually moved yet’ and ‘Seems to be doing absolutely nothing’ – our crab picking skills could do with some work! We didn’t win anything but we can now say we have taken part in crab racing!

There was an added bonus to our night as we spotted some c-list celebs – the geeks from Beauty and The Geek Australia which we have been watching over the past couple of weeks. However we hesitated in asking them for a photo and by the time Jo had the courage to ask a celeb geek to have a photo they had already moved on!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Spot the Thames TicklerSpot the Thames Tickler
Spot the Thames Tickler

He'll be the one not moving


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0816s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb